In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Around 110 km north of Arming there is a series of further outcrops of Lower Cambrian rocks.
- In western Thailand and eastern Myanmar, Mesozoic rocks are scattered and discontinuous, and outcrops of Palaeogene rocks are very rare.
- Although there are no outcrops of Devonian extrusive volcanic rocks in NW Scotland, they can be found in southern and central Scotland and the Orkney Islands.
- Xenoliths, which are pieces of wall rock, or xenocrysts, which are single mineral grains that originate from xenoliths, can commonly be recognized at outcrops of magmatic rocks.
- The main outcrops of this rock suite underlie the two steep-sided hills of the Boesmanskop to the immediate north of the main escarpment.
- The northernmost outcrops consist of Ordovician chloritic slates, phyllitic metavolcanic rocks and slatey metapelitic rocks.
- On the way we stopped to dive a rock outcrop that broke the surface a few hundred metres from shore.
- Inselbergs are rock outcrops, several tens to several hundreds of metres high, emerging from savannas or rain forests.
- Topographic and geological maps are the next stop to identify likely areas based on physical features such as sinkholes, known outcrops of cave forming rocks, and known cave locations.
- On the Witwatersrand the gold-bearing rock was discovered in outcrops on the surface, but within a few years it became clear that the deposits followed reefs deep underground sloping to the south.
- The steep contacts and elongate outcrops of the Upper Jurassic and Lower Cretaceous complexes do not, therefore, rule out gently dipping, tabular form per se.
- He has also gone further afield including BC and Alberta in Canada, Utah, and Britain but his local crags are the limestone outcrops of the Niagara escarpment.
- Scattered throughout the Mojave Desert, outcrops of Proterozoic sedimentary rock make up parts of the mountain ranges that divide this region into basins.
- On land, scientists may collect samples from rock outcrops.
- Surrounding this lowlying area are ‘horsts’ of Palaeozoic rocks, and outcrops of Triassic conglomerates that drain into the basins of the Trent, Warwickshire Avon and the Severn.
- As a boy, he loved to explore the teeming streets of Manhattan and South Bronx, checking out street excavations and rock outcrops in public parks for minerals.
- Vistas of mountains and valleys with interesting weathered limestone outcrops are everywhere, and there are numerous small mines.
- The round mound incorporates natural outcrops of rock.
- Traces of these explorations are still visible in the rocky outcrops on the ridge.
- Thus the proto-Thames once rose in the West Midlands and carried Welsh volcanic clasts southeastwards across the Middle Jurassic outcrops into the present west-east-striking valley in south Oxfordshire.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.