In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(clothes) de calle(clothes) de abrigo(plants) de exterior(swimming pool) descubierto(swimming pool) al aire librethe outdoor life — la vida al aire libre
- he's very much the outdoor type — es el tipo de persona a la que le gusta la vida al aire libre
- outdoor antenna / (British) aerial — antena exterior
- outdoor games — juegos al aire libre
- outdoor pursuits — actividades al aire libre
- you may need a filter for outdoor shots — quizás necesites un filtro para sacar fotos afuera
- We think about a store design as outdoor advertising.
- Another great outdoor activity is the early-morning bird watching.
- Mostly good weather favoured the event for the three weeks when outdoor pursuits could be taken up.
- A roof terrace adds even more outdoor living space.
- Here is situated a residential and outdoor centre where young people can enjoy the countryside.
- Summer is the time for music festivals, concerts and other outdoor events.
- But it is hoped even more big stars will be attracted to the city by the new outdoor venue.
- The outdoor concert was cancelled and the various acts performed in local pubs instead.
- Over the years she has tried indoor and outdoor climbing but does prefer the outdoors.
- Many military people have found kayaking to be the perfect form of outdoor recreation.
- Most outdoor pursuits are popular, in particular shooting, rambling, sailing and windsurfing.
- Everyone enjoys the look and utility of good outdoor furniture.
- There is a plethora of talent in the free outdoor lineup, too.
- There was a time when outdoor furniture was either teak, aluminum, or plastic.
- Aside from all of the great outdoor activities, the Rockies have a number of other attractions as well.
- Gardening, now ranked as America's number one outdoor activity, is growing like a weed.
- A major new outdoor sculpture in stainless steel has been created for the show.
- Bad weather could be a major deterrent for most outdoor sports.
- As with the Jazz Fest, there's both pricey indoor shows and free outdoor concerts.
- I do not like outdoor sports because of the heat and dust.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.