In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(wall/layer) exteriorouter garments — prendas exteriores
- the outer islands/regions — las islas/regiones más alejadas / distantes
- There is evidence that beneath a thick outer layer of ice the moon is covered in liquid or slushy water.
- Here, there would be such a huge number of electrons and positrons created that the radiation would be trapped, except for a thin layer at the outer edge of the gas.
- The outer edges are white, barred with black, with a dark center.
- Skinflint walkers can walk on by the gatehouse and follow the deep ditch that runs outside the high outer curtain of 14 th-century walls.
- As they clattered into the street outside I heard voices of slaves, and the outer door creaking open.
- Made of what is called cortical bone, the outer shell is remarkably thin.
- Their downslope change in symmetry suggests that a thin outer layer of competent salt buckled.
- In the next few weeks the roof, outer cladding and external works will be added.
- I knocked on the outer door of the porch - no answer.
- The ear of a mammal is divided into three regions: the external or outer ear, the middle ear, and the inner ear.
- He also admits he might be running out of countries since his brand of humour touches only ‘a very superficial outer layer’ of each place.
- The results may look simple, but the shape has in fact been gently molded to flatter, and the edges sheared and overlapped to offer glimpses of the neck and brow through the outer layers.
- This allows small ‘pouches’ of the inner layers to be forced outwards through the outer layer.
- Collectively, these observations suggest that the thin outer layer is a primary feature of the sclerite wall.
- Be sure the outer layer of clothing is tightly woven, preferably wind - resistant, to reduce body-heat loss caused by wind.
- As red giants age, they eventually cast off the outer layers of their surfaces.
- The retinal pigment epithelium, which is the outer layer of the retina, fails to carry out its function as a result of which there is accumulation of the breakdown products.
- She came to a stop outside the outer door to the king's privy chamber, swallowing hard.
- Using a potato peeler, remove any harder outer layers (larger stalks need thorough paring down; thinner stalks don't need much at all).
- And while this reconstructs the outer skin layer, it does not reconstruct the pigments and pores in the skin.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.