In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1hacerle frente a
- The following year he outfaced Khrushchev in the Cuban missile crisis.
- Truth can outlast myth but cannot always outface it.
- When the royalists approached on 13 November, they were outfaced at Turnham Green, and fell back to winter in and around Oxford.
- George IV attempted to exert authority over his ministers, but he lacked political skill and persistence and he could always be outmanœuvred or outfaced by determined ministers such as Liverpool and Wellington.
- Getting themselves sorted with a costly state-of-the-art headquarters was never going to outface this gang.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.