In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(islands/villages) alejado(villages/islands) distante(hills/suburbs/area) de la periferia
- Access routes to emergency services, such as hospitals, are also covered, as are main roads to outlying villages.
- It is said that had it not been for some of these organisations, some of the outlying parts of the country would not have been opened up.
- A police station on some of York's troubled estates or outlying towns and villages at night could make all the difference.
- The project started with twenty teenage girls and twenty boys from the village and outlying settlements.
- In the Roman empire this took the form of the payment of tributes by the outlying provinces back to the Roman heartland.
- At least eight people were killed in and around the capital and at least eight others in outlying provinces.
- The last of its tumble-down outlying villages, with its cheering raggedy children, was left behind many hours ago.
- Until quite recent times there was an outlying cottage which disappeared when the pond became the centre of a modern plantation.
- In addition, responses from outlying villages will also be welcomed.
- Many residents were either cowering in their basements or had fled to the relative safety of outlying districts.
- It was specifically for distribution to the outlying areas of the province.
- These games were arranged in places in outlying provinces, with the venue changing each time.
- Meanwhile, young families in York and its outlying villages have little hope of buying a home on their doorstep.
- There is a shopping centre where all the people from outlying districts come in order to stock up.
- The draft layout shows a densely-built central town area with three separate outlying villages.
- Communication with many outlying islands and coastal communities has been lost.
- The centre effect on access to transplantation seemed to be artificial and was due to the outlying effect of a particular centre.
- She said that while the strength of feeling was clearly strong, she had no correspondence from elected members in outlying areas.
- It would cover the entire town centre as well as outlying areas.
- He claimed the emphasis was always put on the city centre with the result that outlying areas suffered.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.