In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(unpaid)(account/debt) pendiente (de pago)the amount outstanding is $105 — la deuda pendiente es de 105 dólares
- Fewer than 20 percent of participants had loans outstanding at the end of that year.
- The only circumstances in which they could call in all outstanding debts would be in the event of their own disbandment.
- From November 1996 on, a balance remained outstanding on his account.
- And when you're reviewing your life insurance, remember to take into account any loans outstanding on your business.
- He went to collect a long outstanding debt before returning to England for good.
- She is entitled to be paid the full balance outstanding on her mortgage.
- A significant amendment to the interest provision is that any interest now calculated may not exceed the capital amount outstanding.
- This time, the hospital insisted he pay the bill in advance, together with the outstanding debt.
- The bank has a counterclaim against Mrs Frost for the sums still outstanding.
- I own my home with a small amount outstanding on the mortgage.
- If it is discovered that there is an outstanding debt from either of the two companies the sum will be pursued.
- The group members plan to take a holiday in the sun, clear off a few outstanding bills and invest whatever is left.
- In most cases a judge will attempt to help both the borrower and the lender reach an agreement about how the outstanding debt can best be discharged.
- And if you have old debts, pay them up, until you are free of outstanding financial debts.
- He was unable to provide a final bill as a number of claims remain outstanding.
- It had no bank debt outstanding when the deal was signed late last week.
- They saw their only task as being to determine whether or not the amount of the assessment remained outstanding.
- He alleges there is no reason for a liquidator to take control over his outstanding debts because he is capable of paying it.
- The government said it managed to reclaim about half of the outstanding debts without legal action.
- By deciding to pay off only the interest, the repayments are much lower but the principal remains outstanding.
1.2(remaining)(request/problem) pendiente(problem/request) por resolver
1.3outstanding stock / shares — acciones en circulación
2.1(excellent)(ability/beauty) extraordinario(ability/beauty) excepcional(achievement/performer) destacadoa young composer of outstanding talent — un joven compositor de excepcional / singular talento
- what did you think of it? — outstanding! — ¿qué tal te pareció? — ¡excepcional!
- He has been outstanding in central defence so far this season.
- Comparing today's outstanding performers with those of yesteryear is always a provocative exercise.
- Their comment on the play was that it was an outstanding performance.
- The Sloan Prize honors the most outstanding recent basic science contribution to cancer research.
- The statement said the ship's visit to America would be an outstanding success.
- He was their truly outstanding player both defensively and in attack.
- The Lake District National Park is an area of outstanding natural beauty that is protected for the benefit of the nation as a whole.
- The current graduates had many outstanding performances by women.
- There is an area of outstanding natural beauty right on the doorstep and it is blocked off because of the dangerous stepping stones.
- Her outstanding performance last weekend earned her this week's UW athlete of the week.
- The truly outstanding athlete always fights his way to the top, no matter what the odds.
- To achieve this he is putting in place a bonus plan for the top 300 executives that will reward outstanding performance.
- The award celebrates outstanding achievement made by students to their secondary schools and communities.
- With manic energy and a knack for voices, Bennett's performance is outstanding.
- The Kettering Prize recognizes the most outstanding recent contribution to the diagnosis or treatment of cancer.
- We should reduce air pollution and protect our areas of outstanding natural beauty against visual pollution.
- Castletown has again produced an outstanding performance in the competition.
- I understood this land was an area of outstanding natural beauty.
- Nepal is also, of course, a country of outstanding natural beauty.
- It was a marvellous sporting moment following an outstanding performance.
- Even allowing for this, he remains the outstanding figure of early English history.
- Lewis-Francis is the most obvious and outstanding product of his time.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.