In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(excellent)(beauty/ability) extraordinario(ability/beauty) excepcional(achievement/performer) destacadoa young composer of outstanding talent — un joven compositor de excepcional / singular talento
- what did you think of it? — outstanding! — ¿qué tal te pareció? — ¡excepcional!
- The statement said the ship's visit to America would be an outstanding success.
- He was their truly outstanding player both defensively and in attack.
- To achieve this he is putting in place a bonus plan for the top 300 executives that will reward outstanding performance.
- Castletown has again produced an outstanding performance in the competition.
- The Sloan Prize honors the most outstanding recent basic science contribution to cancer research.
- Her outstanding performance last weekend earned her this week's UW athlete of the week.
- He has been outstanding in central defence so far this season.
- It was a marvellous sporting moment following an outstanding performance.
- The Lake District National Park is an area of outstanding natural beauty that is protected for the benefit of the nation as a whole.
- Their comment on the play was that it was an outstanding performance.
- The truly outstanding athlete always fights his way to the top, no matter what the odds.
- We should reduce air pollution and protect our areas of outstanding natural beauty against visual pollution.
- The award celebrates outstanding achievement made by students to their secondary schools and communities.
- There is an area of outstanding natural beauty right on the doorstep and it is blocked off because of the dangerous stepping stones.
- Comparing today's outstanding performers with those of yesteryear is always a provocative exercise.
- The current graduates had many outstanding performances by women.
- With manic energy and a knack for voices, Bennett's performance is outstanding.
- Nepal is also, of course, a country of outstanding natural beauty.
- I understood this land was an area of outstanding natural beauty.
- The Kettering Prize recognizes the most outstanding recent contribution to the diagnosis or treatment of cancer.
- Lewis-Francis is the most obvious and outstanding product of his time.
- Even allowing for this, he remains the outstanding figure of early English history.
2.1(unpaid)(debt/account) pendiente (de pago)the amount outstanding is $105 — la deuda pendiente es de 105 dólares
- And when you're reviewing your life insurance, remember to take into account any loans outstanding on your business.
- If it is discovered that there is an outstanding debt from either of the two companies the sum will be pursued.
- The government said it managed to reclaim about half of the outstanding debts without legal action.
- He alleges there is no reason for a liquidator to take control over his outstanding debts because he is capable of paying it.
- This time, the hospital insisted he pay the bill in advance, together with the outstanding debt.
- The bank has a counterclaim against Mrs Frost for the sums still outstanding.
- And if you have old debts, pay them up, until you are free of outstanding financial debts.
- From November 1996 on, a balance remained outstanding on his account.
- In most cases a judge will attempt to help both the borrower and the lender reach an agreement about how the outstanding debt can best be discharged.
- The group members plan to take a holiday in the sun, clear off a few outstanding bills and invest whatever is left.
- It had no bank debt outstanding when the deal was signed late last week.
- They saw their only task as being to determine whether or not the amount of the assessment remained outstanding.
- He was unable to provide a final bill as a number of claims remain outstanding.
- I own my home with a small amount outstanding on the mortgage.
- Fewer than 20 percent of participants had loans outstanding at the end of that year.
- The only circumstances in which they could call in all outstanding debts would be in the event of their own disbandment.
- She is entitled to be paid the full balance outstanding on her mortgage.
- A significant amendment to the interest provision is that any interest now calculated may not exceed the capital amount outstanding.
- By deciding to pay off only the interest, the repayments are much lower but the principal remains outstanding.
- He went to collect a long outstanding debt before returning to England for good.
2.2(remaining)(problem/request) pendiente(problem/request) por resolver
2.3USoutstanding stock / shares — acciones en circulación feminine
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.