In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Unfortunately for France, his scheme was overambitious and his economic analysis riddled with flaws.
- Latvia's attempts to get the ball forward quickly frequently ended in failure because of overambitious passes.
- However, experience suggests that exacerbation of symptoms may result from overambitious or overhasty attempts at exercise.
- All Lang's projects were on the grandest scale, too many of them overambitious.
- That flood of rhetorical questions just goes to demonstrate how overambitious the plot is.
- Much of this is due to overambitious expansion plans, according to chief executive Terry Playle.
- You remember that overambitious roofs have collapsed, and that the superstition about walking under ladders is just common sense.
- The downside of this was that he was often indiscreet and overambitious.
- The Slovakian was overambitious on a number of occasions and might well have been accused of hesitation when an opportunity to settle the issue came his way in the second half.
- It could be that your goals are overambitious - perhaps losing a stone by the end of the month is aiming a bit high.
- I think I was overambitious in the number of books I brought on vacation.
- Given you believe it's overambitious, does that lend you to think it's going to fail like the others that have failed in the past couple of years?
- Then there is a baffled son, emotionally involved with an overambitious undertaker.
- The event provides a forum for people to vent their frustrations, as long as they do this within a certain language framework, and are not overambitious or militant about their demands.
- A year later he was facing electoral defeat, having been overambitious in almost every field.
- I find some overseas prescriptions sound, some obvious, and some overambitious and pretentious.
- It wasn't that he tried overambitious passes, because he often didn't manage to make the pass before he got tackled.
- Both of these now seem somewhat overambitious.
- The strategy is comprehensive but it looks overambitious for the resources allocated to it.
- Substantial weight loss is extremely difficult to achieve, and setting overambitious targets can reduce motivation.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.