In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(sky) cubierto(day) nubladoit was overcast — estaba nublado
- As a result, when it reaches the British Isles it tends to produce dull, overcast weather often with drizzle.
- And a somewhat overcast sky has dulled the ocean's blues.
- Dim light from the grey overcast sky outside passed faintly into the room.
- A heavy overcast sky presses down relentlessly as the passing traffic swallows up the remaining air.
- The weather was typical of this time of year with dull, overcast skies, intermittent drizzle and a drop in temperature.
- The visibility was limited somewhat by a grey, overcast sky and plankton bloom, which constrained the photography to macro shots.
- They ran in silence with their unresolved arguments hanging over them like the grey, dreary overcast sky.
- Despite overcast skies, the rain held off and the day was enjoyed by all who attended.
- Conditions were in contrast to the recent good Irish weather; overcast skies, cool temperatures and a slight headwind, which suited the Irish.
- Though the overcast sky threatens rain at some later point in the day, the early afternoon is still pleasant enough for sitting outdoors.
- There were overcast skies, intermittent rain and heavy mists.
- The overcast sky lingered, threatening to rain again.
- A fine, misty rain fell lightly from the overcast sky, which hung in a looming shade of dull grey.
- The glitz and glamour was in stark contrast to the mostly dull, overcast weather.
- The sky was overcast and cloudy, and a thick fog blanketed everything.
- The Jamaicans were frozen, despite the overcast weather.
- The overcast sky and the foggy shoreline sandwiched the towering city behind them whilst the four travelers made their way down the beach to the water.
- Rolling over and stretching, she reached for the nearest curtain and threw it back, letting in a dark light, due to the overcast skies and rainy weather.
- In spite of the overcast skies and chilly weather, the Scots came through on top, beating the Cobbers 4-0.
- It was a grey day with an overcast sky, the sort of day when nothing looks very good.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.