In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Some may be based on birds in captivity in Europe that were unintentionally overfed, and fattened up beyond what would occur in nature.
- ‘As the snake will initially refuse food, the collector will overfeed it,’ he said, adding that this would eventually kill the animal.
- Experience had taught her not to overfeed a starving body.
- Overtired and overfed politicians negotiate stupendous sums of other people's money into the night, finally agreeing to any nonsense so as to get home for Christmas.
- I'm overfed, but all I have to do is look at generations of my family to know I'll never be svelte.
- Children should never be overfed by comparing them with the neighbour's child, he said.
- Bottle-fed babies are often overfed because parents encourage babies to empty the entire bottle.
- So far as I know, the cat has only been overfed twice since I've taken on the job of principal feeder.
- Those who can eat a lot have a natural advantage over those with smaller appetites - it's easier to grow when you naturally overfeed your body.
- Also, eating smaller meals ensures that you won't overfeed yourself, whereas the excess calories would likely be stored as fat.
- On the flip side, if you overfeed Carl, he'll get fat.
- Many of the birds might have overfed themselves as Richter said some had difficulty getting out of the breakers at times.
- Anybody who has some understanding of the animal kingdom will recognise that the worst thing a dog owner can do to a pet is overfeed it.
- However, the animals' prediabetic symptoms came on suddenly, after 16 weeks of being overfed.
- Not only are our kids overfed on junk food and fast food, they are fast becoming victims of the techno age.
- We seem to have learned from last year's experience not to overfeed the pigs even if they do look hungry!
- The equines were not allowed to be touched without permission, and were not to be overfed on treats.
- According to veterinarians surveyed, more than half of the nation's cats and dogs are overfed, which can lead to health problems.
- She obsesses about its feeding schedule but in fact most pet fish are overfed anyway.
- Hal then begins to overfeed the dogs, thinking that this would give them more strength when all they needed was a good rest from such a tedious schedule.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.