In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1pescar en exceso ensobrepescar en(cod/tuna) pescar en exceso(tuna/cod) sobrepescarthe North Sea has been overfished for decades — durante décadas se ha pescado en exceso / se ha sobrepescado en el Mar del Norte
- Some populations of sea cucumbers have been overfished, which has an effect on the ecosystem.
- Now, 200 years later, all five species of Pacific salmon have been overfished, and the great dams of the Columbia and the Snake have driven many runs to extinction.
- ‘Bluefin is an overfished stock and quite in bad shape,’ he said, adding that because it is a temperate-water fish and grows slowly, it is in particular danger of being overfished.
- More than half of the known, managed, major fish species in U.S. waters are not overfished.
- The agency says white marlin have been overfished for 30 years and mortality is seven times higher than acceptable levels.
- Catches are mostly inside safe biological limits, but some stocks are overfished.
- The blue marlin stock in the Atlantic has probably been overfished for the last 10-15 years.
- The sole stock is overfished and it could take between seven and eight years for the cod stock to recover.
- Ironically, the new technology takes away the competitive edge of these experienced fishermen and makes it easier for a population to be overfished, but it can also create win-win situations.
- When sharks are overfished, a cascade of effects can lead to a depletion of important grazers of plant life.
- As worldwide demand for fish increases, the stocks of some species have been overfished.
- Try to find out which type of fish is environmentally sustainable and which is being overfished and you enter a murky, swirling netherworld of mysterious claims and counter-claims.
- ‘The fish can grow to over 2 meters but it's being overfished in many parts of the southern ocean,’ he said.
- North Atlantic swordfish faced similar peril in the 1990's, having for decades been severely overfished and mismanaged nearly to the point of commercial extinction.
- And there is no doubt that these boats are now overfishing the yellowfin tuna resource.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.