In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1the lights shone overhead — las luces brillaban en lo alto
- the sun was directly overhead — el sol caía de pleno
- a plane flew overhead — pasó un avión
1.1(high up)(cable) aéreo(railway) elevadooverhead light — luz interior feminine
- overhead locker — compartimiento superior
- overhead luggage rack — rejilla (portaequipajes) superior
- Why, just the other day one of our overhead lights began to flicker.
- The helicopter then showed up overhead the wreckage, about 50 yards away from me.
- A helicopter seemed to be overhead the whole time.
- The rubber inflatable octopus in the overhead compartment is for important financial purposes only!
- Ruiz provided one of the best goals of the year with a wonderful overhead kick.
- He has dozens of armed policemen after him and helicopters overhead.
- They also had to replace the trolley pole when it escaped from the overhead wire.
- Instead of buying all new overhead cabinets, the couple found old pieces with character and refurbished them.
- We all got very wet waiting for the helicopters overhead to edge nearer, and for the snail's pace queue of ordinary buses to finally end.
- In less time than it takes to tell, Swan had an overhead kick cleared off the line by Frost, before the equaliser arrived from a penalty after 61 minutes.
- A total of 8 cameras will provide comprehensive coverage, capturing all the on-field action from ground level and overhead views.
- The labourers tapped the overhead power lines situated at least 2 kilometers away from the labour lines on May 16.
- The one carry-on bag must fit in an overhead compartment or under the seat.
- This is why overhead power cables travelling long distances have a very high voltages.
- News helicopters overhead hovered with cameras sweeping the scene.
- Up to 51,000 homes across Northern England were caught in the crisis when gales and blizzards damaged overhead power cables.
- His eyes roamed the dense canopy 150 feet overhead, spotting every monkey, toucan, tree rat, and sloth around us.
- The air was cold, and the drifting of clouds high overhead was more marked.
- The wire from that pole to ‘our’ pole was too close to an overhead power supply cable and, in the wind, had rubbed through its insulation.
- Four miles of overhead power cable can be erected in the Ringley and Stoneclough area.
1.2overhead camshaft — árbol de levas en cabeza masculine
- Televisions are in every rack, and a pneumatic overhead hoist is in each hangar bay, just to make the mechanics happy.
- Both engines have cast aluminum blocks and heads; both have dual overhead cams.
- Gasoline engines with overhead valves are less polluting than those with side valves.
- One of the biggest growth areas will be the move from overhead valve engines to overhead cam engines.
- Both engines are all-aluminum and have overhead cams and four valves per cylinder.
- Today's cars offer overhead cam engines with multiple valves or variable valve timing which provide good fuel economy, but little low end torque.
- Although very successful over the years, the Honda uses dated overhead valve technology - meaning that the engine relies on pushrods to open the valves.
- This was a single overhead cam 2 litre engine, developing up to 140 BHP and mated to a five speed gearbox.
- Next, the engine: a 2.4-liter featuring 16 valves with variable valve timing and double overhead cams.
- The capacity is 2.5 litres and the motor has 12 valves actuated by a single overhead cam.
- They have dual overhead cams and four valves per cylinder.
- Look for engines with clean-burning, overhead valves, rather than side-valve engines.
- Beginning with a 123 cc model, the ultimate Maserati motorcycle was a 248 cc vertical twin with overhead cam engine.
- Cylinder deactivation, a natural for OHV engines, is achievable but far more complex with overhead cams.
- The Minor's 850 cc overhead cam engine provided the power for the first MG Midgets.
- The cylinder head is a single overhead camshaft, two valve type.
- Advances in technology means that engines work more efficiently using an overhead cam.
- Each cylinder features two valves, operated by followers running on an overhead camshaft controlling the charge cycle.
- The all-aluminum engines feature dual overhead cams and four valves per cylinder.
- By comparison, the Cadillac's 16 overhead valves and pushrods sound trite at best.
1.3Sport(shot/pass/kick) por encima de la cabeza
2Business Finance(costs/charges) indirecto(costs/charges) general(charges/costs) de estructura
- Few exchanges offer opportunities to cover overhead expenses, such as cost of goods, payroll, and rent.
- You'll make more money if you do because your basic overhead cost will remain constant.
- Operating and management costs and overhead expenses will be shared by the owners, with Club One taking over the headache of running the fleet.
- A week-long closure of both plants is expected to take place in June, in a further effort to cut overhead costs.
- The Landlord does not accrue substantial overhead expenses, as only a skeletal support organization is needed.
- The association said its proposal is based on increased overhead costs for maintenance, spare parts and fuel.
- She saves on overhead costs by owning her properties, which enriches her businesses.
- If you manage your overhead costs properly, you will impact directly on your bottom line cost base.
- It also benefits from some economies of scale, since production in a foreign plant means that corporate overhead costs are spread over a larger corporate output.
- Their margins were helped initially because there was little overhead cost.
- Vegetable exports dropped considerably because of factors such as high freight as well as other overhead costs.
- Administration and overhead costs include internal administration, overheads, and management fees to external agencies.
- On the other hand, a small company with lower overhead costs may be able to justify serving much smaller segments who have distinctive needs.
- The answer is that finding the money is just an overhead cost of the business, like the rent paid for the premises, or the cost of heating the premises.
- I thought of the price of fresh ingredients, transport, overhead costs and the travails of a seasonal business.
- It would simply be part of the overhead expense incurred by the solicitor in the proper conduct of his practice.
- Calculate how much you spend in total on ongoing overhead costs including rent, electricity and wages.
- Without huge overhead costs, each extra dollar of revenue sees more profit fall to the bottom line.
- They take up shelf/warehouse space and contribute to increased overhead cost such as insurance.
- It's the gross profit that covers the overhead expenses and provides the net profit you need to build the company and get a return on your investment.
1(usually plural) gastos indirectos masculine(usually plural) gastos generales masculine(usually plural) gastos de estructura masculine
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.