In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(engine/machine/economy) recalentar(building/room) caldear demasiado(room/building) calentar demasiado
- However, rapid export and investment demand have led to concerns that the economy could overheat.
- We raised our eyebrows at each other, and gave sympathetic smiles to those who were stuck at the side of the road because their car had overheated.
- First, the increasingly maligned US economy is desperately overheated, with inflationary pressures greater today than they have been in many years.
- It was feared the gas contents could overheat and destroy the car workshop.
- If this happens the coolant won't be able to circulate around the engine and hence, the engine overheats.
- The stock market exploded and the economy turned from strong to dangerously overheated.
- The tax cuts planned for Tuesday's budget are certain to send an already overheated economy to boiling point.
- Two million cars overheat daily in smog-choked traffic jams on the ever-increasing suite of 12-lane ringroads.
- For one, with the U.S. economy desperately overheated and imbalanced, another big shot of credit-induced liquidity was precisely what was not needed.
- Don't leave perishable food items to overheat in the boot of your car while you do other shopping.
- First, there is less danger that the U.S. economy can overheat when much of domestic demand can be satisfied by foreign production capacity.
- Cars overheated and ran out of gas, making matters worse.
- This was my first hint that the car was overheating.
- You would know your car is overheating when steam starts to billow from your engine compartment.
- If the car stops because it overheats at the slow speeds, does the driver go to the rear of the grid on Sunday?
- Despite spots of tempering demand, global growth is accelerating and the US economy remains desperately overheated.
- But rapid exports and investment demand have led to concerns that the Chinese economy could overheat.
- After his engine had overheated, he had parked the bike at a nearby liquor store.
- Normally, as the economy overheats inflation begins to take hold.
- If they get trapped in these pools as the tide goes out, they can be dangerously overheated.
- It wasn't a $2 part that stopped Craig Lowndes in this year's race, but a plastic bag sucked into the radiator intake which overheated the engine.
- Eventually, we foreign idiots were able to decipher that the car was overheating.
- The reason I bring this up in the context of traffic jams is because I got caught on the edge of the battle when my driver's car broke down after he forgot to put coolant in the car and it overheated.
- If the economy was truly overheating, what else could the Fed have done but try to slow things down?
- An added worry is that several sectors of China's economy may be overheating and this could presage higher wholesale and retail prices over the year to come.
- We continue to believe that interest rates will head higher as a desperately overheated economy fuels unprecedented borrowing demands.
- Without an efficient cooling system, your Toyota car is bound to overheat and to perform poorly.
- Is the economy overheating or heading for a nasty fall?
- The IMF is worried China's economy could overheat and generate a troubling inflation that would raise the risk of an economic crash.
- Corrections may well be more painful if Asian economies overheat and American consumers keep overspending.
- A prolonged increase in government spending over several years could also lead to overheating if the US economy recovers quickly next year.
- The Fed raises rates if it thinks the economy is overheating, causing prices to rise.
- If they stay too low, the economy would overheat.
- The economy overheats and stock prices diverge wildly from any semblance of reasonable valuation.
- How fast must the Federal Reserve raise interest rates to assure that demand doesn't overheat, allowing rising costs to pass through into faster consumer inflation?
- I was in and out of sleep and didn't realize it either until his car overheated and blew the radiator cap.
- This meant a quick pit visit to clear the radiator ducts of grass as the car started to overheat.
- It later transpired her three-year-old son had used the cassette slot as a piggybank and jammed and overheated the mechanism with 26 coins
- My car decided to overheat intermittently, the iPod started to skip, and my phone decided it wouldn't recognise its SIM card.
- Both children and pets can overheat quickly and should never be left in a car unattended, he said.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.