In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The move was made in 1998 to shorten the overlong award ceremonies.
- I think it's a great song - but I know people who find it overlong and dull.
- They're overlong, overblown and over-acted, sure, but they're pretty entertaining nonetheless.
- Maybe instead produce an interminable, twanging, overlong, repetitive, inaccessible and frankly irredeemable apology for a solo album.
- I seem in the mood to read overlong pretentious epics - I really should go for a rummage in an airport bookshop or something and get it out of my system.
- It is slow, overlong, convoluted and incredible.
- These types of confessions make Act 2 feel overlong and labored at times.
- Although a rough screenplay now existed in the form of a baggy and overlong first draft, I was to be found wielding the fountain pen or jabbing at the typewriter less and less.
- None of these authors offered overlong acceptance speeches, because, for various reasons, they weren't there.
- Many films nominally aimed at children today are relentless, overlong, surprisingly violent and gratuitously mean-minded.
- It has been widely called overlong, empty, boring, and deadpan.
- The plot is tedious and overlong, full of scenes you've seen a million times before.
- This was all very strange, since there isn't a single genuinely funny line in this overlong one-act would-be comedy.
- The story is somewhat ponderous and overlong, but the WWI flying and special effects more than make up for it
- It's boring, absurdly overlong and, as far as I can tell, devoid of major new information.
- It is really an overlong, rather chaotic collection of amusing, sometimes hilarious, political cabaret sketches.
- Then again, the first album was also overlong, whereas this one never lags.
- The scene is overlong, overdone, obvious, boring and even resorts to slapstick.
- It's a bit overlong, though, and the board-room dramas of the second half can't hope to compete with the visceral shock of the first.
- The terrible reviews of the film are justified: it's overlong, with uninspired direction and no substantial plot.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.