In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- I couldn't taste fresh figs much, either - I might have used overripe figs and they might have gotten blended into the batter, perhaps.
- One overzealous man even tried to sell him some overripe tomatoes once, and it took only one glare to send the man scurrying on his way.
- Never mind about physiological ripeness, I have yet to meet a winemaker who is able to define what is meant by this term, for what is perfect in one vineyard is deemed overripe in another.
- Zack wailed, mortified, his face turning red and giving him the appearance of an overripe tomato.
- My lips were split like a pair of overripe tomatoes.
- Increasing temperatures in the French champagne-producing Epernay region are causing grapes to become overripe and too sweet, sparking fears the famous region may no longer be the best place for growing the grapes.
- An intricate world of colour, geometric pattern and form, from the blackened seeds of overripe maize, to the strangely ephemeral beauty of a poppy about to burst into flower to the gorgeous spines of a sprig of rosemary.
- The section on overindulgence captures the well-known observation of drunken robins that have ingested too much overripe fruit.
- It's a light sauce, made with overripe bananas and stem ginger, that can be added to everything from cold meat to stir fry and sandwiches,’ says Isabella.
- An overripe pear was hurled and left a brown smear on the upstairs window.
- Once it turns clear, the tomato is overripe and flavor diminishes.
- Some crops need to be picked everyday: zucchini grows gigantic if left on the vine and cherry tomatoes get overripe.
- The alcohol in overripe fruit makes wasps aggressive - they are the lager louts of the insect world.
- Lately, though, there has been so much low-hanging fruit that you can't take a step in any direction without bumping into an overripe mango.
- If you want to make top-drawer Zinfandel, planting it in cooler hillside spots is essential, as is restricting its yield and picking before the grapes are overripe.
- Allow the fruit to remain on the plant until fully mature (and a bit overripe, but not rotten).
- For example, you can make a simple but tasty sauce from overripe cherry tomatoes, onions and garlic.
- The two major sugars that accumulate in grapes occur in about equal amounts; at the beginning of ripening glucose exceeds fructose (up to fivefold), but in overripe grapes there is less glucose than fructose.
- Throw a couple overripe bananas (we call them giraffe bananas) in the blender along with some milk, plain yogurt and a couple of ice cubes.
- I don't remember whose idea it was, but we began to pick the overripe mangoes and to throw them at the passing cars.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.