In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1quedarse dormidosorry I'm late, I overslept — perdón por llegar tarde, me quedé dormido / no me desperté a tiempo
- But we have ALL overslept for work at some point.
- I curse myself for oversleeping through the 1999 eclipse.
- Now, I've overslept - after waking up at 2 a.m. and seriously considering getting up for the day - and I'm all sore.
- He says his favorite hobby is sleeping - and has been since his days at Sungkyunkwan University in Seoul, where his baseball coach routinely made him clean the toilets whenever he overslept and was late for practice.
- I actually overslept and missed most of the first half.
- Try and get an early night so I don't oversleep tomorrow.
- If he had overslept or if somebody else had done this or that, then it wouldn't have happened the way
- When she finally got through, her relief was inflected with incredulity: for the first time, her usually diligent daughter had overslept, and missed the bus.
- This morning, I overslept because I was having a dream about oversleeping.
- Typically sufferers become low and lethargic, tend to overeat and oversleep, gain weight, and sometimes work and relationships suffer as a result of low confidence and self-esteem.
- If I don't get that much, I tend to oversleep until I've had the 4 hours, no matter how many alarms I have set.
- There's nothing like walking in company for making friends of strangers, and there was plenty of leg-pulling about oversleeping and its relationship to good red wine when we boarded the coach next morning.
- Saturday I overslept, and then was informed that due to my lateness in getting home that night, I had to shovel the driveway.
- Having overslept, leaving me with just 10 minutes to iron a shirt, have a shower and get dressed, I was forced to skip my usual breakfast of cornflakes, a banana and a glass of orange juice.
- Frustration over Athens' transport system grew among media and Olympic officials today after some bus drivers overslept and others became lost on new roads.
- Except, perhaps, if only I'd slid my alarm fully to its ‘ON’ position, I might not have overslept, missed my train, the match, and what was by all accounts an exuberant weekend in Cardiff.
- Normally, this would be great, but considering it was 7.30 am, (yes, overslept again), I was a bit confused as I was expecting the Today Programme.
- I woke up without oversleeping, and got into work with no rush AND having enough time to walk to the farther stop to catch the bus in.
- Finally, one by one I found all five of them, each of whom had some weird and random reason not to be there, including one who overslept.
- I'm late for work as I overslept after returning from my sensual experience at the Thai restaurant quite late last night… details later.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.