In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1búho masculinetecolote masculine Mexicobarn owl — lechuza feminine
- little owl — mochuelo
- tawny owl — antillo
- as wise as an owl — más sabio que Salomón
- Boreal Owls, known in Eurasia as Tengmalm's Owls, are small owls of the north.
- As raptors like hawks and owls prey on the rodents, they risk being hit by a car.
- In the ever-present darkness that shrouds Dudleytown Hill, owls are said to hoot throughout the day.
- Like most owls, Great Horned Owls have keen hearing and keen vision in low light, both adaptations for hunting at night.
- In a peak year for hares, the hares edged out the voles as a source of meat for both adult owls and their owlets.
- The noise reduction achieved from the tattered fringe makes owls the quietest flying birds, Lilley said.
- The nocturnal owls, nightjars, and allies often are poorly known, and very few species have been studied in detail.
- An owl hooted and the sound reverberated off into the night, fading away into the distance until silence resumed once more.
- The great majority of past studies in this area have been on birds of prey and owls.
- What concerns bird lovers is that owls are birds of prey - and they don't make good pets.
- In winter, when invertebrates are scarce, owls that remain at northern latitudes take largely vertebrate prey.
- The night was still and no sound was heard, apart from the occasional hoot of the owl, the master of the shadows.
- One element is the bird's facial disc, also found in other owls but best developed in the super-eared barn owl.
- Short-eared Owls are medium-sized owls with mottled brown and buff plumage.
- In truth, owls are magnificent birds, hunters of the dark that keep dangerous rodent populations well in check.
- And most important, the trees are homes for small animals like squirrels and chipmunks, and birds like owls and robins.
- Flammulated Owls are small owls with short ear-tufts that can be held erect or flush to the head.
- The Barn Owl is a gray-and-tawny owl with a white, heart-shaped face and dark eyes.
- Common predators of house sparrows include cats and other mammalian predators, birds of prey, and owls.
- The crickets chirped, and the owls hooted, praising natures majesty.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.