In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1dueño masculinedueña femininewho is the owner of this shop/dog? — ¿quién es el propietario / dueño de esta tienda/el dueño de este perro?
- if you are a house/car/dog owner — si usted es propietario/tiene coche/tiene un perro
- However, his proud owners are hoping he will follow in the footsteps of his ancestors and win big.
- Pub landlords and club owners claim a ban will ruin trade and could lead to the loss of jobs.
- If you reserve seats in a restaurant and don't turn up it can be serious for the restaurant owner.
- The owners of a village pub and restaurant have sold up and are heading off to Spain.
- It is like a savings scheme but it means that the owners of the properties aren't landed with a large bill.
- The only problem is that the owner of the ticket may not be aware of his or her success.
- The super pooches brought back a clutch of gongs, to the delight of their proud owners.
- So all dog owners are asked to make sure that it is not their pet which is doing the damage.
- The owners were assured that horses cannot contract the disease although they can carry it.
- Each owner had a say in the design and therefore no house is quite the same as the next.
- If her owners are not traced soon a new home will have to be found for her.
- As such a new agreement with the owners would have to be done for a period of two years.
- The owner is a banker who has a number of banks but refuses to pay the workers money owed.
- The new law is designed for businesses which occupy premises, and not property owners.
- Private landlords often play a key role in encouraging other owners to get work done.
- Where are the natty details, the pleasing little touches that make you proud to be an owner?
- This led the owner to spend quite a bit of money in medical expenses on the injured dog.
- Now Tom and his landlady mum Rebecca are asking for the rightful owner to contact them.
- Bar and restaurant owners have signed up staff for courses on how to deal better with customers.
- Mr Day says it is clear that the onus is on the owners of the animals to keep them out of the park.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.