In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1lago que se forma en un meandro
- Meanwhile, a small family of endangered giant river otters lolls gracefully in a protected area of an oxbow lake nearby.
- South Moravia is home to extensive marshes, oxbow lakes and the largest fragments of hardwood floodplain forest in Central Europe.
- In a familiar oxbow lake, there were gallinules and egrets, even a couple of brightly colored wood ducks and five blue-winged teal.
- Hereabouts the river meanders; there is a hint of an oxbow lake.
- Just across the Mobile County line, pine plantations yield to a primeval landscape of moss-draped trees and oxbow lakes.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.