In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Many metals are readily oxidized by oxygen in the atmosphere.
- Blackened lead white can be treated by oxidizing but oxygen will tarnish any silver.
- When the iron oxidizes with any trace oxygen in the atmosphere, it turns red.
- The coke is oxidized to carbon dioxide, which changes to carbon monoxide at high temperatures.
- These unsaturated hydrocarbons are readily oxidised and polymerised, which can reduce the oil's shelf life.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.