In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The oxyfuel gas welding process uses a flux and either an oxyacetylene or oxyhydrogen gas flame.
- We use the heat produced by the burning of acetylene in the flame of the oxyacetylene torch to make welds.
- These people cut through the side of the metal store with an oxyacetylene torch.
- The oxyacetylene torch, for example, produces heat by burning acetylene gas in pure oxygen.
- The success and widespread use of this method in 20th-century sculpture has depended on the invention around 1900 of fusion welding using oxyacetylene welding equipment.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.