In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Chemistryozono masculinebefore noun ozone depletion — reducción de la capa de ozono feminine
- Automotive emissions are a major source of ozone and carbon monoxide pollution.
- Public water systems treat water with chlorine, ultraviolet light or ozone to kill E. coli.
- Carbon monoxide is not only a hazardous air pollutant itself, it is also a chemical compound that produces ozone, a greenhouse gas that is a human health hazard.
- The District's urban forest improves air quality by removing nitrogen dioxide, sulfur dioxide, carbon monoxide, ozone, and particulate matter.
- The mean temperature of the earth's surface is about 33°C warmer than it would be in the absence of natural greenhouse gases such as water vapour, carbon dioxide, methane, nitrous oxide, and ozone.
- A form of oxygen, ozone protects life on Earth from the harmful effects of ultraviolet radiation.
- The sunlight splits the chlorine into highly reactive ions that break ozone down into normal oxygen molecules.
- Biofuels, such as ethanol, can reduce carbon dioxide, ozone formation and carbon monoxide by as much as 90 percent.
- The city is constantly bathed in a visible haze of harmful pollutants: Sulphur dioxide, nitrogen oxides, ozone and smoke.
- Your lungs may be exposed to pollutants such as ozone, carbon monoxide, sulfur dioxide, and sulfuric acid.
- Water vapour, carbon dioxide, ozone, methane, nitrous oxide, and the chlorofluorocarbons are known as Greenhouse Gases.
- Adding that third oxygen atom makes ozone a very pushy and highly obnoxious little molecule.
- Even though it's made of only three little molecules of oxygen, ozone can be a pretty big topic.
- Already used to control bacteria in some pools and aquariums, ozone gas causes oxidizing reactions that damage tissue.
- Nitrogen Oxides, primarily from automobile exhaust, ramp up ozone production to toxic levels.
- For example, plant tissues challenged with acutely toxic levels of ozone rapidly produce a burst of ethylene.
- Photo chemical smog is caused by the chemical interacting with the sunlight creating ozone and other toxic substances.
- Recent experiments have begun identifying oxidizing gases, such as ozone and molecules containing the halogens bromine and chlorine, as triggers for that mercury fallout.
- The four usual agents of deterioration in the air apart from oxygen and water are sulphur dioxide, hydrogen sulphide, ozone and nitrogen dioxide.
- Although CO2 is by far the most well known green house gas, we humans also produce others in the form of methane, CFC's, ozone and nitrous oxide.
2informal(bracing air)aire puro masculine
- The rain had taken the city's baseline odor of fear and body fluids and replaced it with fresh, sweet-smelling ozone.
- Because of wind patterns, most ozone blows east to Fountain Hills.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.