In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1agujero (en la capa) de ozono masculine
- In the last three years the ozone hole has covered an area of up to 26 million square kilometres, nearly 3 times the area of Australia.
- Ozone depletion in the stratosphere also causes the ozone hole that occurs each spring over Antarctica.
- As you can imagine, scientists are trying to learn the effects of the added ultraviolet radiation that the ozone hole allows to reach the ocean.
- Last winter scientists reported an ozone hole over the Arctic the size of North America.
- Recent scientific findings link global warming to ozone depletion, challenging prevailing assumptions that the ozone hole will begin to recover by the year 2050.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.