In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- At the other extreme were the pacifists who rejected any form of violence, even in self-defence.
- In 1917, a mass movement led by socialists and pacifists called for a popular referendum on the question of going to war.
- The head of a major labor confederation made the same request, adding that they should all march not as pacifists but as peaceable people.
- Some opponents of this war are genuine pacifists, and I respect their position.
- In ‘Work to Do’ he speaks out for the pacifists of the anti-war movement.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.