In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(formal agreement)pacto masculinemasculine pactomasculine convenionon-aggression pact — pacto de no agresión
- to make a pact with sb — pactar con algn
- he made a pact with the devil — hizo un pacto con el diablo
- Union officials justified the pacts on the ground that the alternative was the elimination of the entire union contract.
- Traditionally, the Congress has eschewed formal, pre-poll pacts.
- They should not have interrupted the Assembly's business as it dealt with the trade pact.
- Parties form little pacts to suit themselves - pacts of convenience.
- Oblivious, the party bosses clung on, negotiating pacts and deals, blocking any new ideas or initiatives.
- Besides, global trade pacts enjoin member states to bring down tariff walls.
- All constitutional parties opposed to the pact were unionist, and they had no such difficulty in uniting.
- But it also includes a push for tougher enforcement of trade pacts, including an assault on dumping and export subsidies.
- But how did that fit in with the political pacts that were being elaborated in Ceylon?
- The main focus of these proposals is eradication pacts with community or individual growers.
- The main obstacle for all of the nationalist parties remains the preamble to the current pact.
- In this instance, private organizations negotiated and signed pacts on behalf of the governments of both sides, the report said.
- For the time being at least, all three leaders ruled out any kind of formal political pacts and said there would have to be greater discussion between the parties.
- The idea of union pacts and solidarity arrangements between unions is an idea as old as the union movement itself.
- But formal pacts are much rarer in by-election campaigns.
- If free trade were the only purpose of these trade pacts, the agreements could be written on a few sheets of paper.
- It was more than just a pact of convenience over elections or some specific campaign.
- There are no recognized oaths, contracts, or pacts that apply to friends, as there are for family members.
- The meeting was the first since the creation of the pact to be attended by the head of the government.
- The pact provided for a disarmament process to be supervised by regional peace monitors.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.