In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(show, ceremony)festividadesthe pageant of history — el desfile de la historia
- The colourful pageant marks the start of a country-wide programme of more than 600 entertainments at key historical sites, which aims to attract 10 million visitors.
- The festivities climax tomorrow in a royal state procession and a colourful pageant of music, dance and theatre.
- Yesterday, as the 160th Lonach Highland Games were turned into a colourful pageant, Robin Williams took part in the Bellabeg hill race for the third consecutive year.
- They have produced full-scale scripted plays, but their outdoor pageants are the breathtaking highlight of the Public Dreams year.
- It will feature the school band, school choir, dancing as well as a history pageant featuring St. Patrick, King Henry V111, and Famous Irish Women.
- Street pageants, parades and outdoor concerts have been lined-up to entertain locals and visitors and the street spectacular should not be missed for those who enjoy the magic of performance arts.
- With pageants, plays, processions and al fresco films plus wizards, workshops and walks, getting into the mood with some local music, food and drink will be easy.
- It's a grand pageant set in elaborate 17th century costumes of wigs, breeches, tights and ruffs.
- In the countryside, religious festivals, processions, and pageants take place throughout the year.
- A fusion of pageants, marching bands, pomp, ceremony and celebration resurrected the spirit of St Patrick's Day in Dublin yesterday.
- The entertainment value of the pageant from the celebrity panel to the colourful performances of the contestants will be able to interest and excite people not only in the show but in the package itself.
- Wanamaker's was known for its stained-glass windows, elaborate store displays, and spectacles including organ concerts, pageants, and storybook characters in show windows.
- Haworth celebrated the Jubilee with a historical pageant of tableaux representing such events and personalities of the reign as Amy Johnson and the burial of the Unknown Warrior.
- The centerpiece of the 1954 Tostal was a historical pageant at Tara.
- There, pageants and performances could be presented against the authentic background of Clifford's Tower and the Castle Museum buildings.
- Good Friday processions and pageants took place in villages and towns throughout south Wiltshire - and the dry, sunny weather brought out the crowds in their hundreds.
- A variety of celebrations are under consideration, including a pageant of the town's history, a statue although the subject continues to be a matter of controversy and a street party for children.
- The crowds at this year's Puck Fair seemed bigger than usual as locals mingled with tourists and returned emigrants for one of the oldest and most colourful pageants in the country.
- The U.S. Army occasionally used Civil War battlefields for war games, and in the early twentieth century - the era of great historical pageants - battle re-enactments were common.
- Indigenous dances are used in historical pageants.
- Dublin's St Patrick's Festival parade takes place from noon on Wednesday when 3,500 performers will thrill spectators with a stream of ingeniously designed pageants.
- In 1576 actor James Burbage built London's first public theater, known simply as The Theatre, which was an open-air structure that combined features of pageant wagons, fixed stages, and banquet halls.
- Blocking of major city roads during peak hours and uninhibited use of loud speakers and other accessories for the pageants have raised a hue and cry among the public.
espectáculo histórico al aire libre
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.