In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1pintura femininewet paint — pintura fresca / recién pintado
- paint remover — quitapintura
- In general, graffiti is removed by using paint in a colour which has the closest match to the actual colour of the tree trunk.
- In order to cut down on the cost of paint, consider mixing sample pots of colours with white paint.
- Carpenters were now putting a fresh coating of paint on the house, making it look almost as though it had just been built.
- It was later given two coats of paint in appropriate colours.
- A zinc rich paint coating protects the interior of the pipe.
- He is fond of thin paint and frequently layers a dark blue or black wash over phosphorescent pastel hues.
- That is why I deliberately allow early coatings of paint to show through as I continually build color.
- The door was metal with no handle, and painted with white paint now flaking off.
- Mix up pots of poster paint, and give your children a pot of paint in each colour, a couple of brushes and a glass of water.
- The top ones were drawn on cartridge paper and then painted in watercolour using sepia colour paint, and the bottom ones were painted straight onto watercolour paper using light red.
- Yet even when, as here, he captures the light with such sensitivity, Cameron does not use paint for its vivid colour, but as a means of expressing tonal change.
- A car comes rattling down the street, thick smoke pouring out the back, every door a different colour of blistered paint.
- Look at the picture at top; imagine it on an enormous canvas, in thick paint, colours saturated and glowing.
- Finally, rub down the wood to remove the splinters, give it a thin wash of acrylic paint and brush on the clear preservative.
- The only function of plaster on walls and ceilings, unless it is itself elaborately decorative, is to serve as a smooth surface on which to place decorative paper or paint.
- We did test some acrylic paint on tiles and it was just totally unsatisfactory so we chose what, I guess, was the appropriate paint for the surface.
- Watered-down paint soaks into the porous concrete so it won't flake or peel like surface paint does.
- No artificial paint or any colouring agent is coated on the surface.
- For the third coat, which you will sponge onto the wall, you can pick either a colour glaze paint or a ready-made colour wash.
- A demonstration is given on how to paint using black watercolor or slightly thinned tempera paint.
1Art(landscape/portrait) pintarthese flowers were painted in by a later hand — estas flores se agregaron posteriormente
2(apply paint to)(house/door/wall) pintarI painted the kitchen pink — pinté la cocina de rosa
- the door's freshly painted — la puerta está recién pintada
- I'll draw the outline and you paint it in — yo dibujo el contorno y tú lo coloreas / pintas
- to paint sth out — tapar algo con pintura
- to paint over sth — pintar encima de algo
- to paint iodine on a wound — aplicar yodo a una herida
- to paint a wound with iodine — aplicar yodo a una herida
3(describe)pintarto paint a glowing/gloomy picture of sth — pintar algo favorablemente/muy negro
- as black as it's been painted
- the situation isn't as black as it's been painted — la situación no es tan negra como la pintan
- the boss isn't as black as he's painted — el jefe no es tan fiero como lo pintan
4(make up)to paint one's face — maquillarse
- to paint one's lips/nails — pintarse los labios/las uñas
1pintarto paint in oils/watercolors — pintar al óleo/a la acuarela
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.