In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Proud owners had customised their scooters and many sported gleaming chromework, multiple wing mirrors and lavish paintwork.
- Swept path and washed paintwork completed the picture and only the rubble-filled skip gives a hint to the chaos behind the front door.
- Some of the older paintwork you now see in Italian hotels will be the indirect result of Levi's ingenuity and care.
- The world's oceans have taken their toll on the black paintwork of the mighty hull, but even the most dubious traveller can be in no doubt that this was a vessel unlike any other.
- The harpsichords have some beautiful decorative paintwork and inlays, and the carvings on the viols are exquisite.
- Because there was contact, and a scratch on the bus paintwork, I stopped and offered my details to the driver who behaved as if it were my fault - which it wasn't.
- The work will involve removing the ferry from the water, renewing paintwork and combating the effects of corrosion.
- For example, exterior paintwork has been flaking, giving a shabby appearance to the city's last traditional picture house.
- The white paintwork was peeling off in huge flakes and one of the windows had a long, diagonal crack running across it.
- Lawns are freshly mown, paintwork touched up, tiles buffeted by winter storms shoved back into line.
- Up close, though, the shiny black paintwork was revealed to be slightly uneven, with small bubbles under the surface - indicating a shoddy respray.
- He shrank from the bravura and slashing impasto of his master Rembrandt, and imposed a glassy surface on his paintwork.
- We don't have a car any longer simply because we were fed up with having wing mirrors snapped off, windscreen wipers broken or paintwork scratched.
- Yet, for all its faded paintwork, it is nonetheless the sort of place that reeks of the old country, of back streets in the Italy of my youthful summers.
- It was slightly tatty around the edges, with grubby window frames and slapdash paintwork.
- Bumpers were damaged, wing mirrors were ripped off and deep scratches were etched into paintwork.
- The black paintwork was decorated with gold lines and curlicues like an Edwardian dandy's carriage.
- Windscreens have been smashed and paintwork scratched, and missiles have been thrown at parked cars.
- Painters and joiners have been changing the outside of the building, with new paintwork, lighting and banners.
- The weekend saw the final push: we now have not only a floor and walls, but completed paintwork, curtains, and shelving.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.