In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1botón de alarma masculineto hit / push the panic button — ponerse histérico informal
- He added that the system includes a hidden panic button for hijack situations and emergencies as well as a tow-away alarm.
- No emergency communication system other than a portable panic button is available;
- He suggested that schools could install an early-warning system like a panic button or could provide in-house training for teachers to manager difficult people.
- We have now fitted an alarm system, with a panic button which switches on all the alarms if you press it.
- The terrified cashier couldn't use a panic button to alert emergency services because the phone lines to the garage have been out of order for three weeks.
- On the night the incident took place, the nurses did manage to press the panic button at the accident and emergency department.
- This also benefits the staff, who, should they find themselves in a dangerous situation, are able to press a panic button on the badge, alerting the controller to where they are in the building.
- The panic button consists of two buttons, red and green.
- The radios have a panic button to enable help to be summoned immediately or to order CCTV operators to turn cameras on an incident.
- Her home will probably be fitted with a panic button to summon police if she is attacked.
- Bosses of the firm say the new system, which should be installed by the end of August, will also feature a panic button, allowing staff to call for help in an emergency.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.