In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- I plant pansies and violas, too, for color now and again in spring.
- Try bulbs, wallflowers and pansies in spring, summer bedding for the hotter months, autumn and winter interest from chrysanthemums and foliage plants.
- Superb instant effects can be achieved by using semi-advanced seedlings of annual flowers such as lobelia, marigolds, pansies and primulas, which are all low-growing and suitable for containers.
- Houseproud John and Maggie Briggs filled the wrought-iron hayracks with trailing geraniums, busy Lizzies, wild cornflowers, lobelia and pansies.
- Seed catalogues can usually be relied upon to indicate which pansies and violas are good for most if not all the winters we are likely to experience.
2informal, derogatory(effeminate male)mariquita masculine informal derogatory
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.