In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Cinderella, more than any of the other pantos, is a magical fairytale and I felt that this was not made enough of.
- As early as his second panto he was cast as the Queen in Sleeping Beauty.
- Everyone left with a smile on their face, which goes to prove pantos really are for the young and old.
- This is my fourth panto and I always play the bad guy - I'm the bad guy specialist.
- Many years ago they followed the long tradition of turning the story of the Old Woman Who Lived in a Shoe into a panto.
- Now in its 23rd year, the village panto is somewhat of an institution and attracts packed audiences.
- Prop maker Peter Greenwood found a real mangle so the dame can wring clothes in the panto's slapstick scenes.
- Around us there are so many pantos where they don't even know what gags were told last year, so you just get the same jokes year after year.
- The pad was full of celebrities who were starring in pantomimes and the glossy leaflets on his lap were flyers advertising the pantos.
- The group chooses a different panto to perform each year and this will be the 15th it has put on.
- On an historical note, the pantomime Jack & Jill was the creation of celebrated Victorian writer Edward Leman Blanchard, who wrote 37 of the famous Drury Lane pantos and 28 more for other London shows.
- Song and dance is how Catherine Zeta-Jones made her first appearances in school shows and pantos.
- In particular, he is aided by his 20 years in various roles in the regular panto in his home village of Harden.
- The panto is funny and has something for the girls, a love story, and something for the boys, a duel fight with swords.
- This comedy of disguises, errors and errant passions competes with the most hilarious of pantos.
- Conley has lost count of the number of pantos he has appeared in, but has lost none of his enthusiasm for them.
- The panto had been running from December 14 and was supposed to finish on Sunday.
- All proceeds from the panto will be used to help community projects in Burnley.
- Mark is also going to watch John Inman camp it up in a Cardiff panto.
- Jessica Knotts, 10, is making her debut in the panto this year as the Good Fairy.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.