In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1US(trousers)pantalón masculinepantalonesa pair of pants — un par de pantalones
- to bore the pants off sb — matar a algn de aburrimiento
- to scare the pants off sb — darle a algn un susto de muerte
- They wore trousers or pants as opposed to the knee-britches of their social superiors.
- Many Nigerien men wear a flowing, sleeveless brocade gown over a matching shirt and drawstring pants.
- We were both wearing quite casual attire - black pants, white shirt, tailored black jackets.
- He slipped into a pair of dark blue trousers, but the pants were new and the tail opening was tighter than he was comfortable with.
- First of all, suspenders should only be worn with dressy pants, not with jeans or khakis.
- I cannot make him change this format, so I decided to buy him some new pants and shirts.
- Rachel came to the door in a white tank top shirt and casual jean pants.
- The women that Isis had a glimpse of wore either bell-bottomed trousers, denim pants, or blue jeans.
- The shirts tucked into tight, ebony brown rawhide pants, trousers designed to keep the warmth in and the cold out.
- Wear a nice pair of classy pants, a matching shirt and elegant shoes, to be on the safe side.
- He laughed and gestured to his white shirt, smart black pants, black tie and white cloth draped over his arm.
- He was a short-framed man, dressed in a dark-green vest and combat pants.
- He wore a skin tight black muscle shirt, thick black jean pants, and gauntlets with open fingers.
- She is wearing flannel pajama pants and an old tank top.
- The stranger was dressed in a dark fur cloak with dark gray pants and an ash vest with a white short sleeve shirt underneath.
- He wore all black by way of a silken shirt, leather pants and combat boots.
- I changed out of my pajama pants and tank top, and into a pair of flared jeans and a blue halter-top, that matched my eyes.
- Nearly every other day at school, I wore combat boots, cook pants, a white shirt, suspenders, and a bowler.
- Lord I am so grateful for drawstring pants and trousers with elastic.
- She's in a white undershirt and black jogging pants and flip-flops.
2.1(men's)calzoncilloscalzones Mexicointeriores Venezuela Colombiato catch sb with his pants down — agarrar a algn desprevenido Latin America
- Many stores now sell bikinis as separates, so you can buy the pants and bra in different sizes to ensure a perfect fit.
- A 50 year old scientist burnt his private parts whilst using his laptop whilst wearing trousers and pants.
- The chaps Tom and I have styled all bought pants or boxers and vests and have all reported back that they are soft, fit really well and that their women think they look much better.
- I was standing in my bra and pants (both white) and a pair of black ankle socks.
- She was dressed in green Marks and Spencer jeans, socks, white bra and black pants.
- They have reliably informed us that Chris does NOT wear his pants outside his trousers.
- Department store Marks & Spencer is launching an underwear range for men featuring thongs and glittery pants.
2.3British slang (nonsense)tonteríaspendejadas Latin America Southern Cone informalchorradas Spain informalpavadas River Plate informalleseras Chile informal
- It's not art - it's pants.
- I thought I'd give it a go. Unfortunatly, I'd not looked at the opinions of others on Ciao..........boy, do I wish I had! It's pants. It really is a poor program.
2.4British informal (rubbish)porquería femininethe film was pants — la película fue una porquería
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.