In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(soft food)papilla feminine
- Therefore to stuff the baby with paps and slops is to deprive it of the most strengthening food; for if its stomach be filled with pap, there cannot be any room for food.
- Throughout the years a soft gruel-like substance called pap was fed to small babies. Pap was made of a number of things including ground cornmeal and water.
- At the age of 5 months, a baby should be given pap, besides breast milk.
- Babies are breast-fed on demand, often for well over a year, although solid foods, usually rice pap, may be introduced at a young age.
(sweet porridge)papilla de harina de maíz hervida
- Apart from tasting traditional Xhosa food - from kudu steaks to samp and beans and stywe pap - the Canadians will be licking their fingers as they tuck into specially made Springbok wors.
- Other items include a finger lunch of meat dishes, vegetables and salads or a braai menu of chicken peri-peri, rump steak, traditional wors served with pap, rolls, roasted potato and tomato gravy.
- Customers are given a choice between pap and rice served with chicken or beef stew.
- The restaurants reach a market that does not demand the sophistication of established restaurants, offering customers favourite traditional dishes such as pap and chicken, meat or intestines, liver or tripe.
- Most of the restaurants serve French cuisine, and just as pap is our staple food here, so is bread over there, every meal comes with bread.
3(drivel)this book/show is mindless pap! — este libro/espectáculo es una estupidez / una tontería
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.