1.1(material)papel masculine(handkerchief/towel) (before noun) de papeldon't throw paper on the floor — no tiren papeles al suelo
- it's made of paper — es de papel
- a sheet of paper — una hoja de papel
- a piece of paper — un papel
- I spent four years at college to get this piece of paper — me pasé cuatro años en la universidad para conseguir este papelito
- paper currency — papel moneda
- paper cutter — guillotina
- paper industry — industria papelera
- paper loss — pérdida no realizada
- paper profit — beneficio no realizado
- paper qualifications — títulos
- He took out the bacon from the skillet and placed it on three sheets of absorbent paper towel.
- I'd get lots of sheets of A4 paper, fold them over, staple them and make an instant book, write my story and draw covers.
- The printed paper sheets were pasted onto canvas mounts for display.
- The most readily available method for pressing paper sheets is in or under a large book.
- The first thing to buy is a large sheet of white thick paper or thin card, which you gently bend into a right angled curve.
- Any letter that included more than one sheet of thin paper was likely to go missing.
- Inside was a sheet of onionskin typing paper, the kind that's slippery but crinkles.
- The supervisor nods and continues to make annotations on a sheet of paper.
- Then he pulled out a clean sheet of his stationary paper and took a quill.
- Traditionally, a sheet of paper was used to cast or register a vote.
- I angrily tore off the sheet of paper from my plain notebook, and reached for a tissue, blowing my nose.
- I noticed a sheet of thin, unlined paper beside the case that held the incredibly deadly drug.
- At a push, the bag itself could be constructed from a sheet of paper or small carrier bag tied up with an elastic band or bit of string.
- Slowly and carefully, I broke the seal on the envelope and pulled out a sheet of thin paper.
- He continued to stare blankly at the sheet of paper until Loflen brought him out of his daze.
- Taking out a sheet of paper with lots of writing on it, Daria nodded, took a deep breath, and began her story.
- She scribbles frantically on sheets of paper, then hunts through desk drawers for more writing material.
- Then I wrote down the necessary directions to my place on a sheet of paper from that notepad.
- He pulled up the sheets of thin paper in front of his head as he squinted to read the small print.
- She slid her nail along the top to open it and pulled out a single sheet of paper with a drawing and a sentence hastily scribbled along the bottom.
1.2British (wrapper)envoltorio masculinepapel masculine
1.3wallpaperpapel (pintado) masculine
1.4cigarette paperpapel de fumar masculinesábana feminine Mexico
2(newspaper)diario masculineperiódico masculineI read/saw it in the paper — lo leí/lo vi en el diario / periódico
- what did the papers say about it? — ¿qué salió en los diarios / periódicos al respecto?
- before noun paper boy — repartidor de periódicos / diarios
- paper girl — diar(i)era
- And every Monday morning he would scan the papers for reports on penalty kicks around the country.
- But will the foreign papers be objective in reporting about India?
- New York had nine daily newspapers then, plus papers in Brooklyn, Queens and New Jersey, and three wire services.
- In this case, the story attracted enough national media attention that local people had access to alternative perspectives by examining the national papers.
- The papers also reported his claim to have had a bogus cocaine habit put around by a government press secretary.
- Nearly all the papers have eye-witness reports which stated that he was ‘hotly pursued’ by plain clothes police officers.
- Besides the general-circulation papers, newspapers continued to flourish as agents of various special communities.
- Newspapers say they distribute papers where they sell.
- All the day's newspapers, weekly periodicals and local papers are available at the library and any member of the public can call in to read them.
- Some supermarket tabloids outsell the local papers.
- Many will have their own local memories of Bill and some will no doubt centre on getting the daily newspapers or the Sunday papers after Mass.
- Much more important is what papers say, report and headline in the years between elections.
- The last turn of the century marked the peak of the newspaper boom, 2,600 papers across the country.
- Before Christmas, the papers reported that children wouldn't be able to see the Harry Potter movie in its first week because so many office parties had made block bookings.
- The editors of the three Scottish papers will report to McGurk day to day.
- ‘Our intention to build a skatepark has been reported in the papers since January,’ he said.
- Strikes by journalists on local papers in the north of England have spread from one title to another.
- These findings provide a prescription for future newspaper content if papers are to gain young readers now and keep them in the future.
- Hardly a week goes by without the papers reporting that a new witch has been found.
- While all the national papers report that Gore will be conceding any day now, the online debate rages on.
3.1(for journal) trabajo masculine(for journal) artículo masculine(at conference) ponencia feminine(at conference) comunicación femininea research paper — un trabajo de investigación
- to give / present a paper — presentar una ponencia / una comunicación
- Three papers have examined mineral localization in the needles of larch species.
- I presented my paper at the first session and, relieved it was over, took the nearest free seat.
- Unfortunately, due to the large number of papers presented at most sessions, hardly any discussion took place.
- Simultaneous translation will be available during conference sessions, so papers may be presented in French or in English.
- In this issue, we present the final two papers from that session.
- We examined references of relevant papers and contacted experts in the subject.
- The object was to make it easier to assign papers to appropriate sessions.
- This paper examines that question by considering the acute phase of care provided by the public sector.
- Thursday had the best of the paper sessions from my point of view.
- Five more papers were presented in the morning session and four papers, all illustrated with lantern slides, were given in the afternoon session.
- She has presented papers and sessions on prevention of music-related injuries and biomechanics of piano technique.
- The papers in these sessions address these questions from three different directions.
- Their role at conferences, for example, can span everything from presenting papers to fielding questions in open conference sessions.
- I am giving my paper in the first session on the last day, which is the day after the conference dinner.
- The papers in this session have addressed several of the important issues facing the negotiators.
- This paper examines the transition between the short-term and the long-term responses to water status.
- The paper attempts to answer some of the key questions necessary for reform.
- This is an edited version of a paper examining the difficulties of DNA evidence.
- This paper examines Bedouin attitudes and practices relating to the evil eye as a cause of misfortune.
- The event will see a record number of more than 300 workshops, papers and poster sessions, grouped into 12 broad themes.
3.2(student essay)trabajo masculine
- However, the examiners who mark their papers will not be made aware of their circumstances, in order to preserve the integrity of the exams process.
- The number of answer papers identifying all the scarecrows correctly was higher than usual.
- The examiners who evaluate the answer papers should be given their remuneration on time.
- York students have seen weeks of revision go down the drain after a blundering examination board lost their papers.
- The Department of Education and Science is also preparing to advertise for examiners to correct the papers to ensure the exams go ahead in June as planned.
- I think that both the report and the strategy paper are positive documents for Bulgaria.
- Policy papers, however clever, change nothing by themselves.
- Evidence from clients all over the country is accumulated, analysed and used for parliamentary briefing papers and reports.
- It was understood public services minister Andy Kerr had a deal with the union leadership for support of the policy papers, but that unravelled over the past ten days.
- Numerous policy papers were adopted, which had some progressive sections in them.
- Politics is more than policy papers and polls and strategy.
- Those reports - those working papers, again, as far as I understand it, were delivered at the command level.
- Based on that work stage three of the process will see the production of a series of policy papers setting out various options
- Detailed policy papers, letters and ministerial submissions are taped and listened to late into the evening, absorbed at double the normal speed.
- In their policy papers on universities both Mr Dawkins and Dr Nelson treated size as an important issue.
Britishexamen masculine(part) parte feminine
5papers plural(documents)documentos masculinepapeles masculinehe had to hand over his identity papers — tuvo que entregar sus documentos de identidad / su documentación personal
- you have to carry your papers at all time — hay que llevar siempre los documentos / los papeles encima
- his car papers weren't in order — no tenía los papeles / documentos del coche en regla
- ship's papers — documentación del barco
- to give sb her/his walking papers — poner a algn de patitas en la calle
- Other sources of information can include old documents, important papers or personal correspondence.
- His first book on folklore, Custom and Myth, did not appear until 1884, but contained papers written and printed much earlier.
- As proof of physical abuse, the Government demands to see police paperwork, court papers or a medical report.
- I still haven't investigated the computer labs and continue to e-mail and write papers from the comfort of my own home.
- While studying at SFU, Terry would write his papers on cancer research.
- Well, they're probably excited they don't have to write any papers right now for their professors.
6Financepapel (comercial) masculinedocumento comercial masculine
1(wall/room) empapelar(room/wall) tapizar Mexico
- The walls were papered in elegant blue wallpaper, and the floor was soft carpet.
- Furniture was purchased in Philadelphia, and the rooms were painted and papered in stylish bright colors such as Prussian blue, crimson, salmon, and yellow ochre.
- The curator of the museum, has suggested that perhaps Frederick Linder, a painter and paperhanger, papered the walls in exchange for free rent.
- He goes up to the flat and sees two workmen papering the walls.
- The walls of this hall were papered with material that had a satin feeling to it.
- The stylish look now is a room that's fully papered, especially with the new architectural textures.
- The walls were papered in a floral pattern and there was light jazz emitting from a hidden amplifier in the ceiling.
- The walls were papered with delicate designs and rich reds.
- They both are papered with non-plastic type wallpaper.
- The floor was laid with a thick burgundy carpet, the walls papered in pastel colours of cream and gold and peach.
- And I already knew I could take radiators off walls to paint and paper behind them.
- It is papered, ceiling included, in pink floral Sanderson wallpaper.
- The walls were papered in a light cream colour and two comfortable sofas were positioned neatly amongst the other items of furniture.
- The drawing room and dining areas are papered in Victorian style and have wooden floors and panelling.
- The walls were papered in a pleasing floral print, a few comfortable chairs and a matching footstool were scattered about, and in the fireplace, a happy little blaze was flickering away.
- Currently the bedroom walls are magnolia above the dado rail, and papered beneath, with a subtle striped magnolia patterned wallpaper.
- Originally wood-panelled, the walls in the office have been papered in a lighter colour, and the room is furnished with modern, pale wood desk and table.
- The entire room, as well as the adjoining powder room and bedroom, was papered in stark white.
- A feature wall was papered in golden crushed vinyl wallpaper.
- The walls were papered in a wide variety of rather dated and unpleasant wall papers.
2Theatreto paper the house — regalar entradas