In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1clip masculinesujetapapeles masculine
- I put down the big blue pencil, tidied up the last pile of now really, truly tatty papers, stuck a paper clip on it and consigned it to the stack.
- On the coffee table at his side was a stack of papers held together with a large paper clip.
- You can use a complicated clamp to hold a few sheets of paper, but a paper clip is a much more elegant device for such a purpose.
- Do not staple or otherwise bind your manuscript; a paper clip will suffice.
- My producer reached into his desk drawer and pulled out a few pieces of paper held together with a paper clip.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.