In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1primordialof paramount importance — de primordial importancia
- He was deposed as paramount chief and Zululand was annexed to British authority at Ulundi on 1 September.
- The role of the United States as a paramount power is somewhat comparable to Great Britain in the nineteenth century.
- Social contact with the outside world was absolutely crucial to maintaining the power of paramount chiefs.
- All the territory of an administrative chiefdom is technically held by the paramount chief.
- It wasn't land ownership exactly, but the paramount chiefs were allowed to allocate land rights to residents.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.