In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Botany Zoologyparásito masculine
- Host radiation allows a parasite to expand its ecological niche by adapting to one or more novel hosts.
- Another constraint on ejection is the close resemblance of eggs of hosts and parasites.
- There are many species of parasites and disease organisms that infect dogs.
- Other typically much larger organisms, including parasites such as lice, worms and scabies can also spread from person to person.
- All parental hosts of heterospecific brood parasites must pay the cost of rearing non-kin.
- After all, more than half the species on Earth are parasites, and most organisms are host to a number of them.
- Only the latter could be accepted as evidence of coevolution between the parasite and a particular host.
- The most sophisticated defense system used by hosts against parasites is the immune system.
- These genes are essentially immune system genes and defend the host organism from parasites.
- The relationship between host and parasite is not a simple one, and just as the parasite affects the host, so the host affects the parasite.
- Good places for reliable encounters are where small fish act as barbers to their hosts, cleaning away parasites from their skin.
- Another hallmark of parasites is that hosts often evolve defenses against them.
- By contrast, infection will tend to limit nitrate accumulation in the host roots as a result of nitrate transfer from host roots to the parasite.
- Because host nestlings remain in the nest, the parasite must compete with host nestlings for food.
- Some water molds are parasites on other organisms; they may grow on the scales or eggs of fish, or on amphibians.
- Selection has been intense as the parasites are host specific and the drugs are very widely used.
- Detrimental effects on hosts can occur at several stages of the parasite's life cycle.
- An implicit requirement is that parasites and their hosts match up to some degree.
- We consider three rejection scenarios by a host of a nonevicting parasite.
- If hosts and parasites are coevolving, this can drive the rapid divergence of amino acid sequences.
- All workers were oppressed, all middle class people parasites.
- These neocon pseudofascists are like a parasite using the host Republican party to attain their ends.
- And that's what it will come to, for the council workers and other public sector parasites.
- Every governmental attempt to ameliorate poverty seems to attract its own breed of parasite and leech.
- They were like parasites, leeching on to him, just wanting him to do this or that, or to torture him.
- They are all a pack of bludgers and parasites who pay no taxes but spend ours.
- They are literary parasites, the enemies of creativity and imagination.
- In the unionists' imagination, the rich are social parasites living lives of leisure on inherited wealth.
- MPs, councillors and all their cronies are nothing more than scroungers, spongers, parasites.
- It was in essence a parasite leeching on to Western decadence and lack of will.
- I've repented my sins to Sepp and he has led me away from the bloodsuckers and parasites that threatened to dissolve my soul.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.