In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Zoology Botanyparásito masculine
- Some water molds are parasites on other organisms; they may grow on the scales or eggs of fish, or on amphibians.
- Only the latter could be accepted as evidence of coevolution between the parasite and a particular host.
- Good places for reliable encounters are where small fish act as barbers to their hosts, cleaning away parasites from their skin.
- Selection has been intense as the parasites are host specific and the drugs are very widely used.
- Another hallmark of parasites is that hosts often evolve defenses against them.
- By contrast, infection will tend to limit nitrate accumulation in the host roots as a result of nitrate transfer from host roots to the parasite.
- Host radiation allows a parasite to expand its ecological niche by adapting to one or more novel hosts.
- After all, more than half the species on Earth are parasites, and most organisms are host to a number of them.
- Another constraint on ejection is the close resemblance of eggs of hosts and parasites.
- Other typically much larger organisms, including parasites such as lice, worms and scabies can also spread from person to person.
- Detrimental effects on hosts can occur at several stages of the parasite's life cycle.
- Because host nestlings remain in the nest, the parasite must compete with host nestlings for food.
- We consider three rejection scenarios by a host of a nonevicting parasite.
- An implicit requirement is that parasites and their hosts match up to some degree.
- These genes are essentially immune system genes and defend the host organism from parasites.
- If hosts and parasites are coevolving, this can drive the rapid divergence of amino acid sequences.
- The most sophisticated defense system used by hosts against parasites is the immune system.
- All parental hosts of heterospecific brood parasites must pay the cost of rearing non-kin.
- The relationship between host and parasite is not a simple one, and just as the parasite affects the host, so the host affects the parasite.
- There are many species of parasites and disease organisms that infect dogs.
- They were like parasites, leeching on to him, just wanting him to do this or that, or to torture him.
- These neocon pseudofascists are like a parasite using the host Republican party to attain their ends.
- MPs, councillors and all their cronies are nothing more than scroungers, spongers, parasites.
- They are all a pack of bludgers and parasites who pay no taxes but spend ours.
- And that's what it will come to, for the council workers and other public sector parasites.
- All workers were oppressed, all middle class people parasites.
- I've repented my sins to Sepp and he has led me away from the bloodsuckers and parasites that threatened to dissolve my soul.
- They are literary parasites, the enemies of creativity and imagination.
- Every governmental attempt to ameliorate poverty seems to attract its own breed of parasite and leech.
- In the unionists' imagination, the rich are social parasites living lives of leisure on inherited wealth.
- It was in essence a parasite leeching on to Western decadence and lack of will.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.