In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Mr Heseltine is running late, she says, looking around for somewhere to put me, as if I am a parcel bomb.
- See six magpies and win the national lottery, see seven and your hands are blown off by a parcel bomb.
- His body was found in a hotel toilet in the city of Kaduna with the remains of a parcel bomb after an explosion that no one heard.
- In Humberside a woman was injured when a device was sent to an estate and land agent in Patrington, and police also said a young girl was injured by a parcel bomb in Cheshire last week.
- A parcel bomb blamed on the Basque separatist group ETA injured a journalist yesterday, two days after elections in Spain's Basque Country dealt a setback to ETA's political allies.
- The letters were sent with parcel bombs to the Italian offices of Spanish airline Iberia.
- While some local sources have claimed that the woman was a suicide bomber, others have suggested that the minibus may have been destroyed by a parcel bomb placed under a female passenger's seat.
- Eight parcel bombs were yesterday targeted at Pakistani security authorities here, of which three exploded injuring nine people, police said.
- Myanmar embassies in Japan and Singapore received suspicious letters in the past week that turned out to be parcel bombs, a Defense Ministry official said Thursday.
- She leaves for Lesotho where she becomes a victim of a parcel bomb.
- An anti-EU anarchist group from Italy is believed to be behind the parcel bomb which blew up at the Radcliffe headquarters of MEP Gary Titley.
- On November 4, the police officer investigating the case was seriously injured when he received a parcel bomb concealed in a box of sweets that blew up when he opened it.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.