In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1multa (por estacionamiento indebido) feminine
- To my disgruntlement, we returned to the car with a large parking ticket attached to the windshield wipers.
- A motoring organisation has warned drivers to take care to avoid getting a parking ticket this Bank Holiday Monday.
- When I came out there was a motorcycle cop writing a parking ticket.
- This may be one way of ensuring that the traffic warden cannot put a parking ticket under them, but it also means that the extra large pillars can restrict the view.
- I was only in this place for about 10 minutes, and when I came out there was a Parking Warden writing a parking ticket.
- And I didn't even notice the parking ticket on my windshield until I got home.
- The change will mean north Wiltshire drivers who incur a parking ticket will no longer be committing a criminal offence.
- The defendant's friend's boyfriend had offered to move her car from a car park so she would not get a parking ticket but kept stalling it.
- Offenders will be taken to the police station where they will be issued with a fixed penalty notice similar to a parking ticket.
- He's been given a parking ticket for being badly, rather than illegally, parked.
- I guess one will just have to park and be issued with a parking ticket.
- The traffic warden was so horrified she couldn't work out what to write on a parking ticket for the offending vehicle.
- For instance, he can write a parking ticket - but only within the marina's boundaries.
- You might think you will get away with it if you tear the parking ticket off your windscreen and throw it in the bin…
- If you drive a huge, hulking 4x4 and you've been slapped with a parking ticket, look again because you might not have a fine to pay after all.
- When he came back two days later he was surprised to see yellow lines and a parking ticket on his windscreen.
- Traffic wardens slapped a parking ticket on a coach collecting pensioners after a concert at the Bridgewater Hall.
- When I got back, there was a traffic warden by the car and a parking ticket on the windscreen.
- She sent me a letter of explanation, which I attached to my parking ticket.
- A traffic warden slapped a parking ticket on a mourners' car - just as it was about to leave for a funeral.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.