In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Finally, I want to talk quite seriously about the parlous state of politics in this House.
- The railways emerged in a parlous state, in dire need of a major overhaul.
- We come in day after day, lament the parlous state of the telecoms industry and resolve on a regular basis to get new means of employment.
- That is not a high level of income, but when one considers a number of other issues one finds that it is becoming even more difficult and parlous for people to live on it.
- And how do you sap the energy of the insurgency when the parlous state of the economy keeps everyone desperately poor?
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.