In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1parqué masculineparquet masculine
- Chris then pushed back his chair with a violent screech as it scraped the parquetry, and stood up to his full height.
- Stacey and Jaycob followed the pair onto the dance floor: a wooden parquetry.
- The floors, once covered with the finest parquetry, are unrecognisable, the blinds don't work, the light-bulbs drape from thin wires where lamps used to hang.
- Ramps on both sides drop to parquetry floored galleries that provide increased height for the display of QUT's impressive collection.
- And I'd swear that it was in a brown parquetry veneer bowl.
- A low table - only calf-high - filled the center of the room; oak, it looked like, with parquetry designs inlaid in the surface.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.