In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1loro masculinepapagayo masculinecotorra feminineas sick as a parrot — muerto de rabia informal
- I was / felt as sick as a parrot — estaba que me moría de la rabia
- It is not the mere articulation which is our distinguishing character, for parrots and other birds possess this power.
- The world's rarest parrots, including most macaws, are at special risk.
- Pet parrots and mynah birds, in particular, are famous for their ability to copy words and expressions taught to them by their owners.
- The park is home to thousands of different species of flora and birds, including parrots and hummingbirds.
- Speaking of which, I was a little concerned with the parrot being able to speak as well as he did.
- This bacterium is primarily carried by birds such as parakeets, parrots, pigeons, turkeys, and ducks.
- You can attract birds like eastern rosellas, king parrots, galahs and lorikeets to your garden.
- Hundreds of macaws and parrots gather at the exposed riverbanks to feed on clay, which helps the birds digest their diet of nutritious seeds.
- Bird watchers are drawn from all over the world in search of species such as parrots, parakeets, hyacinth macaws, and wood storks.
- In the aviary there are no visitors: are they both natives, then, the parrot and the human?
- Your parrot could catch its feet into the clumps and could get hurt while struggling to escape.
- This talent to imitate, observable in parrots and some other bird species, is not an ability that can be acquired by coincidence.
- Such species as love birds, parrots and doves are spending more time near the water trough and less on picking for food.
- The young parrot's foot became caught between a pine cone and the wire that secured it.
- I forget her name, but she was green and had parrot feet (a green parrot is a symbol for marijuana in India, as well).
- Thick-billed parrots are colorful, noisy, social birds that electrify the region's high pine and oak forests.
- It's been observed in many other bird species besides parrots and macaws, as well as elephants, macaques, giraffes, rhinos and chimpanzees.
- Whistling bowerbirds and whip-cracking riflebirds complement parrots and honeyeaters.
- They went through the bird house, marveling at toucans, parrots, birds of paradise.
- Song birds in the mating season seem to sing endlessly, and some birds, such as parrots or lyre birds, can even imitate human speech almost to perfection.
1(opinions/words) repetir como un loro(opinions/words) repetir como un papagayo
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.