In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1chirivía femininepastinaca feminine
- Add in the carrots, parsnips and potatoes, season with salt, pepper and cumin, and cook for five minutes, stirring regularly.
- I can't abide the sickly sweet flavour of parsnips.
- So there is roast tenderloin of pork with mustard crème fraîche, spiced roast parsnips and roast pheasant with chestnut stuffing.
- A few sweet roots, parsnips, carrots and a stalk of celery will add flavour to the pan juices.
- Some of the foods that contain quite a lot of water like root vegetables, parsnips, have got a very high glycaemic index, yet the glycaemic impact is quite low, simply because it's got a lot of water in it.
- Cut the sweet potato, parsnip and broccoli into bite-sized chunks and add to the curry with the shallots and lemongrass.
- All types of vegetables are here, potatoes, carrots, parsnips, onions, and an uncut whole butternut pumpkin.
- Once all the accompaniments are offered - roast potatoes, roast parsnips, Brussels sprouts and chestnuts - the absence of turkey on the veggie platter is scarcely likely to draw attention.
- Try steamed carrots, turnips, parsnips, rutabagas, squash or celery root.
- But hoummos has another, second life as an accompaniment to simple grills, served on the side in the same way that you would serve mashed potato or a parsnip purée.
- So the sweet, starchy parsnip was doubly useful and became a staple food.
- When it comes to Christmas food I'm completely conventional - turkey, roast potatoes, roast parsnips, bread sauce, stuffing, English mustard and sausages.
- Anyway, I was glad to welcome those parsnips into my vegetable drawer.
- The supermarket has also seen more root vegetables such as parsnips, potatoes and carrots being sold.
- Using pastry bags, fill bottom half of shell with sweet potato mousse, fill top half of shell with parsnip pastry cream and top with chocolate glaze.
- Wash and peel the vegetables you intend to roast - potatoes, pumpkin, kumara, onions, carrots, parsnips and turnips are all good roasted.
- Jayne chose the only vegetarian option that night - beef tomatoes filled with sautéed vegetables (courgettes, carrots, parsnips and onions) on a lemon confit.
- I particularly like the taste of parsnips, but you could substitute other root vegetables (carrots, turnips, celery-root) or better yet, use a mix of several.
- Or make a hash by frying up all the leftover roast potatoes and parsnips, adding some chopped turkey and perhaps a little leftover stuffing too.
- Fresh and bright as those carrots, leeks and parsnips are it takes a shopper with a will of iron not to cast a wandering eye over the imported vegetables.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.