1canto polifónico masculine
- Instrumental tutors were published and glees (simple part-songs for male voices) became popular.
- But this re-issue features solo songs, part-songs and canonic works in a variety of styles.
- Gradually part-songs were more likely to be performed by choirs instead of soloists.
- The type of music would range from Bach to Beatles, part-songs, madrigals, folksongs, anthems, carols, show choruses - in fact anything which can be sung in four-part harmony.
- Their aurally-developed harmonic style owed a great deal to both Church of England hymnody and the amateur part-songs of the Victorian ‘glee clubs.’