In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Some species consist only of females that produce their daughters from unfertilized eggs, a type of reproduction called parthenogenesis.
- In asexual reproduction, eggs develop without fertilization, a process called parthenogenesis.
- Reproductive modes include sexual reproduction and parthenogenesis, but much remains to be known about development.
- Gynogenesis is like parthenogenesis in that diploid zygotes inheriting all chromosomes from their mother can develop without a genetic contribution from males.
- This process is known as parthenogenesis, where unfertilized eggs develop into embryos without sperm.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.