In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
nounPlural paso dobles
- The Latin category consists of the rumba, cha cha, samba, paso doble and jive.
- Can the hip-hoppers do the paso doble; can the Latin champs do the funk?
- Latin is the rumba, jive, paso doble, cha-cha and samba.
- Two energetic and angry sailfish on the line at the same time takes a certain amount of fancy footwork on a small deck and Raphael and I did a neat paso doble for about 20 minutes until both fish were tagged and released.
- As usual, at the first opportunity, the Monkey stood up and danced a paso doble, juggling raw fish and grapes.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.