In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1granadilla femininemaracuyá masculineparchita feminine Venezuela
- Passion fruit with coffee and mint flavors; the passion fruit shell was scooped out and the coffee inside flavored with the fruit and with a bit of mint.
- Bea's selection of vanilla panna cotta with a passion fruit, pineapple and mango sauce was far nearer the mark, with the faintly piquant sauce nicely offsetting the creamy texture of the panna cotta.
- A snootful of tropical fruit - passion fruit, guanabana - becomes smooth and, surprisingly, only slightly sweet on the palate, with notes of cooked white raisins and creme brulee.
- Stein's first course of raw tuna fish starter marinated with passion fruit and green chilli goes perfectly with the Tower Chardonnay he's bought (from the winery he co-owns in South Australia).
- Try nectarines, star fruit, cherimoyas, passion fruit, kiwis or any of the countless items of produce most quality supermarkets stock.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold in the passion fruit seeds and set aside in the freezer until set.
- The increased availability of fresh produce year round, including exotic fruits like mango, passion fruit and guava, has made it easier to offer fresh juice.
- I came into a world in which oranges were scarce, bananas exotic and passion fruit unheard of.
- The weekly arrival of the banana boat makes everything possible; piggyback exports of coconuts, citrus and passion fruit, and imports of foreign exotics like salt cod, potatoes and butter.
- Now, those industries have gone and globalisation means that we can buy sun-drenched pineapples, mangoes and passion fruit in the middle of winter.
- Fresh figs, pineapples, papayas, guavas, passion fruit, and mangoes contain an enzyme called protease, which breaks down the protein in gelatin and prevents the liquid from setting.
- Transfer the chilled passion fruit filling to a pastry bag fitted with a small, plain tip.
- In the garden outside her friend's house grew ripe passion fruit, and she played around a bit with the tropical fruit, adding some fresh grapefruit juice.
- A pale orange hue marks my favorite, the granadilla drink, made from a passion fruit species native to Central America.
- Toss the mache, frisée, and celery leaves in the passion fruit vinaigrette and place around the scallops.
- To follow, I would make the most of those papaya, lychees and passion fruit that are looking so good this month.
- My favourite was the chilli jelly, the passion fruit and the lime.
- In a blender, combine the passion fruit pulp, passion fruit juice, coconut milk, lemon juice, and lime juice.
- Tropical fruits such as pineapple, passion fruit and wood apple are combined with coconut milk to create unforgettable mocktails.
- St Augustine's pupils won with a cheesy mushroom filo tartlet, wok tossed lime and chilli chicken on ginger and garlic noodles and a passion fruit and strawberry trifle.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.