In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1masculine remiendomasculine pretarchemasculine refuerzofeminine rodillerafeminine coderamasculine parchenot to be a patch on sb/sth — no tener ni punto de comparación con algn/algo
- All were equally worn with work and dressed in shabby clothing, layered with tears and patches.
- The paper will wrinkle slightly; if it tears, patch it with another piece.
- It was made of cheap leather patches haphazardly sewn together pieces of tanned hide.
- Also, please note my tweed coat with leather elbow patches, which cements my authenticity and invites you to share with me your innermost secrets.
- It features a half-zip mock collar, elbow patches for durability and an extra rugged look, and a contrast trim along the inner collar, sleeves and hem.
- All I need is a cheap tweed coat with leather patches at my elbows and I could be dodgy salesman of the year.
- He wore a black patch over his left eye while his good eye, hungry with greed, stared at Hitomi in a frightening star.
- They're usually so docile, chess players, with their pasty skin, skinny necks, elbow patches and eyeglasses.
- He was rather plump, and wore a black patch over his right eye.
- But, you can still pick out a sexy patch to cover up the gaping hole in your head, which thank goodness was discovered after we dilated your eyes!
- I'll probably put leather patches on these ones.
- He wears a black patch over the recently fitted plastic eye, but his dancing legs are strong.
- It's charcoal gray with light gray stitching, elbow patches and a large star patch on the front.
- Even when a propshaft has been salvaged, there are normally strengthened patches on the keel where the bearings would have been mounted.
- The tan blazer he was wearing had gray leather elbow patches.
- He had a slight muscular build, which was covered by a dark blue winter coat with brown leather patches on the elbows.
- Made from a soft wool blend, it features a gray, ribbed knit finish along the cuffs, collar and waistband, with brown suede patches on the elbows.
- For extra attention, select a cardigan with small pockets or leather patches on the elbows.
- You sew new patches on old, fragile cloth, it will tear around the patch and make the hole bigger.
- If his jackets weren't wool tweed, they had patches on the elbows.
- There were mended patches all over the coat and she could tell it was very old, it smelled nice though.
- And I'm not a bald, bearded man with leather patches on the elbow, either.
- We knew instinctively that anyone wearing a tweed jacket with leather elbow patches was a history teacher and those wearing ponchos were over-zealous social workers.
- There were rips, tears, and dirty patches all over them.
- He was allegedly carjacked by Mr. Nichols in the parking garage and you can see that he is wearing a patch over his eye from the injuries in that incident.
1.2eye patchparche masculine
en el ojo
1.3US Militaryinsignia feminine
- Since the end of OIF II, I have seen a lot of things happen with medals and badges and patches.
- It is not a fashion statement it is a cult statement in the same way that wearing a political rosette is, or that wearing a gang patch is.
- First of all, the Marines do have uniforms that have Velcro patches.
- I casually open the door, hoping that CAG isn't present, and if he is, that it is so dark he can't see my face or my squadron patch.
- The army cleverly arranged to have inserted among the legitimate insignia properly designed patches for most of the notional formations.
- Nearby lies a mission patch torn from a Nasa space suit with the seven names of the crew running along the edge of the shuttle-shaped insignia.
- We rely on the identification patches on there to distinguish between the good guys and the bad guys.
- Many wore American flags in straw hats and American patches over their hearts.
- Following that meeting, Pershing directed all American divisions to design and wear their own distinctive shoulder patches.
- Even among other service members who may wear combat patches on their right sleeves, the U.S. flag patch is always supposed to be at the top.
- In fact, badges or patches tended to disappear altogether, as the GI traded in his original issue field uniforms for replacements at irregular intervals.
- Walking around, you can see soldiers wearing patches from scores of units.
- Speaking of history, I notice the Orioles wearing 50-year anniversary patches on their sleeves.
- A couple of weeks later I was on the U.S. Army home page and noticed a link to unit insignia and patches.
- A boy whose knapsack is covered in decorative patches says, ‘If there was a skate park we could go to, that would be awesome,’ his eyes lighting up.
- All plates, bowls, and flatware have the group patch superimposed over bands of Transportation Corps red and yellow along the rim.
- Boy Scouts wear the patch on the right chest pocket of their uniform, while Girl Scouts wear the patch on the back of their sash.
- The front of the jacket is decorated with leather patches depicting all five units involved in the Doolittle Raid.
- How can we as soldiers place our combat patch over our country's flag?
- The Marines don't have all the funky badges and patches that the Army has, so they don't have the same issue.
2.1(area)test the product on a small patch of material — pruebe el producto en un pequeño trozo de tela
- she slipped on a patch of ice/oil — resbaló en el hielo/en una mancha de aceite
- there were red patches on his arms — tenía manchas rojas en los brazos
- a damp patch on the ceiling — una mancha de humedad en el techo
- I've cleaned it, but there's still a sticky patch — lo he limpiado, pero todavía queda un pedazo pegajoso
- fog patches will occur — habrá zonas de niebla
- to go through a bad / rough / sticky patch — pasar por / atravesar una mala racha
2.2(small plot of land)a vegetable patch — una parcela para verduras
2.3British (territory)my/his patch — mi/su territorio
3Computingparche masculinepatch masculine
- Because this is an error at core programming level a patch would be hard to find for the freeware version of ZoneAlarm.
- It's not clear when wireless LAN vendors will make available Fast Packet Keying as either a software or firmware patch.
- The patch modifies this function and adds the following lines of code.
- Microsoft also has a software patch to fix the flaw and said users who have the Service Pack 2 security update for Windows XP are not affected.
- Dell Computer will issue a patch to fix performance issues on some of its Axim PDAs on Wednesday, according to company officials.
- This format is mostly just for human patch browsing, and the patch program doesn't actually support it.
- The patch corrects flaws that could allow malicious users to execute code on your computer.
- To apply the changes specified in the diff output, a user need only run it through the patch program.
- Ensure that you have downloaded the correct patch.
- SE Linux is comprised of a kernel patch and patches to utility programs such as login and cron.
- By now, anyone with a Windows computer knows that hardly a week passes without a software patch / hotfix/update issued by Microsoft to fix a problem in its products.
- Users are strongly advised to download and install the latest software patches from Microsoft and to update their anti-virus definitions as soon as possible.
- Can you give some examples of the sorts of applications that your patch can noticeably improve the performance of?
- I also assume the reader is comfortable applying source patches and compiling programs.
- He needs to go online to download a patch to get his DSL working.
- I have done that before: the linux Jumbo patches that included IDE DMA code and other kernel fixes that had been rejected initially by Linus.
- CERT's advisory contains a links to patches from software distros that contain OpenSSH code and to OpenSSH project's own update.
- This is a feature in Windows that downloads the software patches automatically onto computers.
- One of the most common methods of doing kernel work is to use the patch and diff programs.
- The loopback patch is a source code patch to the loopback driver and associated utilities.
1(repair)remendarparchar Latin Americait was patched together out of various scraps — estaba hecho de retazos
- he tried to patch their relationship together again — intentó volver a arreglar las cosas entre ellos
2Computing Telecommunications Radio
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.