In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Filled with pathos and grandeur, they demand to be seen in the flesh.
- His eventual realisation that his life has been a series of failures is a rare moment of genuine pathos.
- It had laughs and characters, and moments of what could almost be called pathos.
- The play itself had some great lines of wit but also lines of great pathos.
- He gives humanity and pathos to a character that a lesser actor might turn into a complete buffoon.
- The blend of pathos and grandeur in the image might even be said to do justice to its subject.
- The pathos of the scene against the background of Christmas cheer gives the film an unusual power.
- This play strikes a balance between comedy and pathos which rings true of life's mixed blessings.
- He has a genius for creating emotional drama that is devoid of pathos.
- He combines the right amount of pathos, surrealism and humour to make the script work.
- These were comedians whose work was steeped in social commentary and rich with pathos.
- The pathos in the play struck the small group, which watched it with rapt attention.
- They present a perfect blend of pathos, wonder, derision, fear, disgust and fury.
- They have a perfect blend of humour, poignancy, pathos and a social message.
- It is astonishing that so much pathos can be wrung from the fate of a toy.
- At the very least, he needs to have some pathos to show one or two human qualities.
- The novel begins as a rather classical tale of pathos and becomes an inquiry into storytelling itself.
- But these moments of pathos are redundant in what is probably the most breathlessly exuberant movie yet made.
- The poise and pathos of the music remains the same, but its as if it's passed into another language.
- Here at last we have all the drama, tragedy, pathos and humour those courtroom appearances produced.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.