In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- His role has been more patriarchal, in the family context.
- They were written in a highly patriarchal society where masculine domination was the norm.
- When they become guerrillas the women set themselves free from patriarchal bonds.
- In a patriarchal society men fear independent autonomous women.
- She has totally internalised patriarchal values that are common to our society.
- A feminist might see it as an instrument of patriarchal oppression.
- Coming from a patriarchal society, the responses to such questionnaires are interesting, if not very surprising.
- In this sense the representations of motherhood potentially extend far beyond patriarchal ideology.
- I believe that a rigidly Patriarchal culture cannot tolerate the empowered creative voice of Women.
- Recognition that the power structure is also patriarchal helps to explain much of the resistance.
- Funny, I think, how all this is going down without any kind of patriarchal supervision.
- Despite his living in a rigidly patriarchal society his strongest and most memorable characters are all female.
- Not to mention any number of grouchy patriarchal husbands and avid sugar daddies.
- For decades, international development agencies skirted gender issues in highly patriarchal societies.
- I am also conscious of my identity as a writer within a patriarchal culture.
- Parents enjoy a patriarchal status and the father claims the best chair near the fire.
- She then received patriarchal permission to pursue kinship with offspring of creditable lineage!
- Like so many other women caught in war zones, these women are victims of a violently eroding patriarchal system.
- Big farmers in the area come from a strongly patriarchal and feudal background.
- In short, patriarchal society values masculine gender roles only when they are performed by males.
- Her mother wants to be sympathetic, yet as a representative of her father's patriarchal power, she can only follow the script laid out for her.
- As such, it allows for changing and evolving structures that exist outside of the patriarchal power system.
- She has rejected the patriarchal society and a traditional marriage.
- Our family was a traditional patriarchal family, with my Dad at the helm.
- Previously, all western religions, even the masons, had been rigidly patriarchal.
- Patriarchal social structure, along with its other harms, fuels population increases.
- Rules such as these may be acquired during childhood and may reflect the patriarchal values of society.
- All the sampled groups clearly exhibit patriarchal structures, including those relevant to marriage.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.