In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1por línea paterna
- Whether a departed angel or a current harpy, however, she must give place to the assertion of patriarchal hierarchies, patrilineal descent, and male-dominated marriage.
- Polygyny is prevalent and even in groups without traditional patrilineal descent, Islam has strengthened male control of women.
- The patrilineal descent principle is important, and the lineage is very often localized within a geographic neighborhood in which it constitutes a majority.
- Most Ugandan cultures are patrilineal, so people tend to identify more with their father's tribe.
- In this patrilineal society, property is a male birthright.
- Some of the people follow matrilineal descent rules, while others follow patrilineal rules.
- They think of these groups as patrilineal descent groups, although they are in fact quite flexible in membership criteria.
- Descent is reckoned bilaterally, with a patrilineal bias.
- Many of Indonesia's ethnic groups have strong kinship groupings based upon patrilineal, matrilineal, or bilateral descent.
- He also examines how attempts to insist on patrilineal descent for Fijian voting rights exclude many people who lead Fijian lives through maternal ties.
- Both matrilineal and patrilineal descent groups exist in Mozambique.
- Although the patrilineal descendants of the six forgot their ancestral language they retained a nostalgic remembrance of their old place.
- Because women marry into a patrilineal descent system, the children belong to the father.
- Why the change occurred is not 100% clear, but is likely a result of the traumas of exile, when many Jewish women were raped, and a patrilineal descent rule would have been a disaster.
- South of the Zambezi River, tribes follow a patrilineal descent; to the north, kin ties are established through the mother's line.
- All of the indigenous groups are patrilineal and have ideologies of male dominance.
- On the other hand, other modes of alliance also remained important, and relationships between patrilineal kin could be antagonistic as well as friendly.
- The tribal land-owning corporations are themselves patrilineal descent groups or lineages whose members acquire rights by virtue of being the sons and daughters of a particular man.
- In a patrilineal society, having many male offspring was a big concern and a much-invoked wish.
- Many others throughout the kingdom assert patrilineal descent from eponymous ancestors from ancient Arab tribes.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.